Themed Learning Communities
You can take part in a Themed Learning Community (TLC)! A TLC is a group of two-four courses taken by the same set of approximately 25 students over the course of a semester. These courses are taught in a way that will allow you to explore a common theme across all of the courses in your TLC.
Pre-enrollment will open in February 2018. To reserve your seat in a TLC (two-four courses), complete our on-line Pre-Enrollment Form. A member of our team will pre-enroll you prior to orientation so long as you meet all of the requisites for the learning community and there is still space available. Seats are first come, first serve, so be sure to submit your form as soon as possible! View the complete listing of available learning communities.
- Sign in to MyNIU using your Z-ID number and password
- Select MyNIU Student Center
- Click Enrollment Shopping Cart (under your schedule)
- Select Term (fall, spring, summer), then click Continue
- Enter the Class Number of one of the TLC courses, then click Enter
- Review the information to make sure it is correct and click Next
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to add all of the courses in the TLC to your Shopping Cart
- You can now log out of MyNIU
To follow the traditional enrollment process, you will need to discuss your TLC interests with your advisor in your advising session during summer orientation. To help facilitate this process, follow these steps:
- Put the TLC classes into your Shopping Cart on MyNIU. When organizing your schedule for fall, make sure to select all the classes that are in the TLC you wish to enroll in. (See directions below).
- Talk to your advisor at orientation. Make sure to speak with an advisor at orientation about TLCs for assistance planning for the TLC that’s right for you. This is the most important step!
- Enroll in a TLC! After seeing your advisor at orientation during the summer, log back into MyNIU. Find your Shopping Cart, check the boxes next to your TLC classes and click Enroll.