Pre-enrollment will begin in February 2018. To pre-enroll in one of these Themed Learning Communities, please use our online pre-enrollment form and we will enroll you in your courses before you come to orientation if you meet all of the requisites of the learning community and the courses in it.
For more information about the available TLC bundles, please email TLC@niu.edu.
The Creative Path to Student Success
You know that you love to move, or act, or sing, or paint, or shape or mold, and make. Now, there is a way you can take your young talent and use it to launch your college career. There is a place for you and your love for the arts at NIU, no matter your major or ultimate career goal. The Creative Path can help you start down the road to success, and help you stay on that road throughout your four years. Note that this is a four year program that begins with the themed learning community.
- Art 100 (Drawing), Mon/Wed, 11 a.m. - 1:45 p.m.
- ENG 103 (Rhetoric), Tues/Thurs, 11 a.m - 12:15 p.m.
- UNIV 101 (The University Experience), Thursday, 10-10:50 a.m.
Leadership for Social Change
Are you passionate about being a leader in our society? Do you want to make a difference in the world around you? This themed learning community will focus on how to engage in ethical leadership through promoting social change. You will have an opportunity to work with other students who are energized by advancing social justice, change and global responsibility. Topics will include learning about leadership, ethical decision-making, social movements and communication skills.
- CAHE 100 Foundation of Social Change Leadership (Mon/Wed 11 a.m. - 12:15pm)
- UNIV 101 Leadership for Social Change specialized section (Tues/Thurs 9 - 10:15 a.m.)
Psychology: Growing a Mindset for Success
What motivates you? How can we motivate others? Why do some people say motivated when faced with challenges and others do not? These questions are at the heart of being successful students, leaders, teammates, parents and employees. This Themed Learning Community engages you in critical thinking about fixed and growth mindset research and considers ways to apply these concepts.
- PSYC 102 Introduction to Psychology (Section T207, Class number 4939)
- ENGL 103 Rhetoric and Composition (Section TLC4, Class number 2984)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T206, Class number 2681)
Psychology: Explorations of Perception
Consider for a moment what you believe. How did you come to shape your beliefs? This TLC will challenge you to think critically about what you believe and discover principles of human behavior that contribute to perception. You will have an opportunity to engage in reflective writing and discussions that will challenge you to make meaning of and integrate your experience into your identity.
- PSYC 102 Introduction to Psychology (Section T204, Class number 5978)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T209, Class number 2683)
Hip Hop, Writing and Research
Do you love music? Interested in learning more about research? This TLC will provide opportunities to learn about research through writing and rapping. You will explore different methods for researching information and will complete a final assignment that merges your perspective of hip hop, Black English and their future goals.
- BKST 200 Racism in American Culture and Society (Section T120, Class number 6070)
- BKST 302 Topics in Black Studies (Section T121, Class number 4803)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T122, Class number 2679)
Career and Major Exploration
An exciting opportunity if you are undecided-any college to explore specific majors throughout the various colleges here at NIU that might lead to the career of your choice. The TLC provides you with the opportunity to use course work to assist in your major exploration process by helping identify an appropriate major and/or college that fits your future goals!
- SOCI 170 Introduction to Sociology (Section T804, Class number 4198)
- COMS 100 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (Section T805, Class number 4623)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T806, Class number 2707)
Exploring Health Majors
Students who enroll in this TLC will have an opportunity to meet other students interested in health related fields and participate in assignments that explore career paths.
- CHEM 110 Chemistry (Section T401, Class number 4603)
- CHEM 111 Chemistry Laboratory (Section T402, Class number 3708)
- COMS 100 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (Section T403, Class number 2797)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T404, Class number 2686)
Preparing for Health Careers
If you are starting your journey toward becoming a healthcare professional, this is the TLC for you. You will blend listening and public speaking strategies with in-class assignments, promote a stronger understanding of basic statistics and how they can be applied to health fields.
- STAT 208 Basic Statistics (Section T405, Class number 4784)
- STAT 208R Basic Statistics Recitation (Section T4R5, Class number 4785)
- COMS 100 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (Section T406, Class number 2795)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T407, Class number 2689)
Biology as a Path to Careers in Health Fields
This TLC is specifically designed to merge courses in biology with UNIV 101, an introduction to the NIU community. This is a great TLC if you are interested in Nursing or other major paths that require biology as you will have an opportunity to complete a pre-requisite course while also connecting with other NIU students pursuing a similar career path.
- BIOS 103 General Biology (Section T425, Class number 7679)
- BIOS 105 General Biology Laboratory (Section T426, Class number 7680)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T422, Class number 2692)
Psychology for Health Professions
This TLC provides you an opportunity to connect health related topics across three courses, understanding how psychology serves as a foundation for success in health fields.
- PSYC 102 Introduction to Psychology (Section T532, Class number 7640)
- ENGL 103 Rhetoric and Composition (Section TLC5, Class number 2990)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T531, Class number 2703)
Calculus I and Physics I for Engineers
If you an engineering major and taking Physics I with Calculus I, this is for you! This paired set of courses will allow you to explore the concepts of calculus while learning to apply them in physics.
- MATH 229 Calculus I (Section T303, Class number 3254)
- PHYS 253 Fundamentals of Physics I: Mechanics (Section T301, Class number 3994)
- PHYS 253L Fundamentals of Physics I: Mechanics Laboratory (Section T302, Class number 3630)
Exploring Identity through Paired Reading and Writing
Refine your literacy and communication skills. This TLC allows you to develop your writing and reading, thus helping you to succeed in classes, daily life and beyond.
- LTRE 100P Communication Skills (Reading) (Section T116, Class number 1182)
- ENGL 103P Rhetoric and Composition (Section TLC3, Class number 4857)