For more information about the available TLC bundles, please email TLC@niu.edu.
The Creative Path to Student Success
You know that you love to move, or act, or sing, or paint, or shape or mold, or make. Now, there is a way you can take your young talent and use it to launch your college career. “The Creative Path” TLC, open to all majors, can help you start down the road to success, and help you stay on that road throughout your four years.
Participation in this TLC makes you eligible for $500 tuition aid toward your sophomore year.
- ART 100 Drawing Foundation I (Section T003, Class Number 1996)
Monday, Wednesday 11 a.m.-1:45 p.m.
- ENG 103 Rhetoric and Composition (Section TLC2, Class Number 6649)
Tuesday, Thursday 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T521, Class Number 2521)
Tuesday, Thursday 10-10:50 a.m.
Psychology: Growing a Mindset for Success
What motivates you? How can we motivate others? Why do some people stay motivated when faced with challenges and others do not? These questions are at the heart of being successful students, leaders, teammates, parents, and employees. This TLC engages you in critical thinking about fixed and growth mindset research and considers ways to apply these concepts.
- PSYC 102 Introduction to Psychology (Section T207, Class number 7618)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 1-1:50 p.m.
- ENGL 103 Rhetoric and Composition (Section TLC4, Class number 2799)
Tuesday, Thursday 9:30-10:45 a.m.
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T206, Class number 2507)
Monday, Wednesday, 11-11:50 a.m.
Exploring Health Majors
If you are beginning your journey in the health related fields, this TLC is for you! Explore listening and public speaking fundamental principles, concepts in chemistry, and familiarize yourself with NIU’s campus and resources.
- CHEM 110 Chemistry (Section T401, Class number 4349)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10-10:50 a.m.
- CHEM 111 Chemistry Laboratory (Section T402, Class number 3482)
Monday noon-2:50 p.m.
- COMS 100 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (Section T403, Class number 2614)
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T404, Class number 2511)
Tuesday, Thursday 12:30-1:20 p.m.
Preparing for Health Careers
If you are starting your journey toward becoming a healthcare professional, this is the TLC for you. You will blend listening and public speaking strategies with in-class assignments, promote a stronger understanding of basic statistics and how they can be applied to health fields.
- STAT 208 Basic Statistics (Section T405, Class number 4508)
Tuesday, Thursday, 2-3:15 p.m.
- STAT 208R Basic Statistics Recitation (Section T4R5, Class number 4509)
Tuesday 11-11:15 a.m.
- COMS 100 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (Section T406, Class number 2612)
Tuesday, Thursday 12:30-1:45 p.m.
- UNIV 101 University Experience (Section T407, Class number 2514)
Tuesday, Thursday 3:30-4:20 p.m.
Calculus and Physics for Engineers
If you an engineering major and taking Physics I with Calculus I, this TLC is for you! The paired set of courses will allow you to explore the concepts of calculus while learning to apply them in physics.
- MATH 229 Calculus I (Section T303, Class number 3043)
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 10-10:50 a.m.
- PHYS 253 Fundamentals of Physics I: Mechanics (Section T301, Class number 3765)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday noon-12:50 a.m.
- PHYS 253L Fundamentals of Physics I: Mechanics Laboratory (Section T302, Class number 3408)
Wednesday 3-5:50 p.m.
Exploring Identity through Paired Reading and Writing
Refine your literacy and communication skills. This TLC allows you to develop your writing and reading, thus helping you to succeed in classes, daily life, and beyond.
- LTRE 100P Communication Skills (Reading) (Section T116, Class number 1172)
Tuesday, Thursday 9:30-10:45 a.m.
- ENGL 103P Rhetoric and Composition (Section TLC3, Class number 4572)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9-9:50 a.m.