Clanitra Stewart Nejdl
|Title:||Reference and Instructional Services Librarian
|Office Location:||Swen Parson 267B|
|Education:||B.A., University of South Carolina Honors College
J.D., Walter F. George School of Law, Mercer University
M.L.I.S., University of South Carolina
Clanitra Stewart Nejdl joined the NIU College of Law Library faculty in 2014. She teaches legal research and provides legal reference assistance to faculty, staff, students and other library users. Prior to joining the Law Library faculty, she practiced law at the South Carolina Appleseed Legal Justice Center, where she provided local and statewide policy advocacy on behalf of low-income communities in the areas of affordable housing, homelessness, hunger and community economic development. She was also an attorney at the Georgia Legal Services Program, where she represented indigent clients in a variety of civil cases.
In addition to her degrees, Professor Stewart Nejdl holds a certificate in Advanced Legal Writing, Research and Drafting from the Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University. She is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Association of Law Libraries, the Mid-America Association of Law Libraries and the Chicago Association of Law Libraries. She is admitted to the Georgia Bar and the South Carolina Bar.
Professor Stewart Nejdl is the 2017 winner of the American Association of Law Libraries Minority Leadership Development Award, as well as a 2016 Fellow of the American Association of Law Libraries Leadership Academy. She has served as the co-chair of the Chicago Association of Law Libraries Archives Committee since 2016.
- Race, Poverty, and Bail: An Annotated Bibliography, 38 N. Ill. U. L. Rev. 487 (2018).
- This Really Happened: Incorporating Legal News Items and Current Events into Legal Research Courses, Second Draft, Fall 2017, at 45.
- Wrongful Convictions and Their Causes: An Annotated Bibliography, 37 N. Ill. U. L. Rev. 401 (2017) (with Karl Pettitt).
- AALL Annual Meeting and Conference 2015: A Newbie’s Journey, CALL Bull. (Fall 2015), at 15.
- First Year Teaching: How I Got Here From There , MAALL Markings, Sept. 2015, at 14.
- The Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act: Keeping Tenants in the Loop and in Their Homes, S.C. Law., May 2010, at 20.
- Public Interest Issues for the Private Practitioner, S.C. Law., July 2007, at 26 (with Susan B. Berkowitz).
- Program Report: Advance Toward Experiential -- Create or Retool Your Advanced Legal Research Course to Meet the ABA Experiential Learning Standards, ALL-SIS Newsl., Fall 2017, at 11.
- Program Report: Minority Teachers -- Expectations, Experiences, and Exultations, ALL-SIS Newsl., Fall 2017, at 9.
- Program Report: Designers’ Workshop: Subject Guides That Create the Effect You Want, ALL-SIS Newsl., Fall 2015, at 9.
- Program Report: Transitioning to the Revised ABA Law School Accreditation Standards, ALL-SIS Newsl., Fall 2015, at 25.
- ProQuest Congressional and Legislative Insight, Southeastern L. Libr., Summer 2012, at 3, reprinted in The CRIV Sheet, Feb. 2013, at 4.
- Co-presenter, Diverse Interactions: Addressing Race and Implicit Bias in Legal Research Instruction, 2018 American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting and Conference, Baltimore, MD, July 14-17, 2018.
- Staying Current -- Together!, Co-presenter, 2017 MAALL, LLAW, MichALL, MALL, and CALL Joint Annual Meeting, Milwaukee Marriott Downtown, Milwaukee, WI, October 19, 2017.
- Preserving Our Histories, Telling Our Stories: What’s in Your Chapter Archives?, Panelist, 2017 MAALL, LLAW, MichALL, MALL, and CALL Joint Annual Meeting, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI, October 21, 2017.
- Research Instruction I: Innovating Your Legal Research Classes, Co-presenter, Teaching Today’s Students with Today’s Tools for Tomorrow’s Practice (Legal Writing Institute), IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, IL, December 11, 2015.
- Issues and Trends in Federal Education Law, Presentation at the NIU College of Education’s TLEE 461 Professional Development Day, DeKalb, IL, October 16, 2015.
Selected Honors and Activities
- Vice-Chair, American Association of Law Libraries’ Excellence in Community Engagement Jury, 2018-2019
- Vice-Chair, Research Instruction Committee, American Association of Law Libraries' Research, Instruction and Patron Services Special Interest Group, 2018-2019
- American Association of Law Libraries Minority Leadership Development Award Recipient, 2017
- American Association of Law Libraries Leadership Academy Fellow, 2016
- Faculty Senate Member, Northern Illinois University, 2016 – present
- Co-editor, CALL Bulletin (Chicago Assn. of Law Libraries), 2018 - present
- Chicago Association of Law Libraries Archives Committee Co-Chair, 2016 – 2018
- Beta Phi Mu International Library & Information Studies Honor Society Member, 2013 - present