Heidi Frostestad Kuehl
Heidi Frostestad Kuehl joined the NIU College of Law in 2014 as an associate professor of law and director of the David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library. Professor Kuehl’s primary research and teaching interests are in foreign, comparative, and international law, international business transactions, law and technology and basic and advanced legal research.
Prior to joining the NIU College of Law, Professor Kuehl was the associate director for Research and Reference Services and Foreign, Comparative and International Law Library at Northwestern University School of Law’s Pritzker Legal Research Center in Chicago. After graduate school and law school, she worked at the Marquette University Law School in Milwaukee as a law librarian and an adjunct professor. Professor Kuehl has also taught international legal research at the John Marshall Law School (Center for International Law).
During law school, Professor Kuehl was the executive editor of publication of the Valparaiso University Law Review, studied abroad in Cambridge, England, was a member of the International Law Society, and also participated in the Jessup International Moot Court team. Professor Kuehl is a graduate of the Valparaiso University Law School and received her B.A. in Music Performance and English from Luther College in Decorah, IA. She also received her M.A. in Library and Information Science from the University of Iowa while working at the University of Iowa College of Law Library.
Books and Book Chapters
- International Legal Research in a Global Community (with Megan A. O'Brien) (Carolina Academic Press, 2017).
- Global Legal Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility: Where’s the Beef?, 46 N.C. J. Int’l L. ___ (forthcoming 2020).
- The Universal Right to Access Legal Information: Authorities and Progress in a Digital Age, ASIL Int' Legal Res. Informer (Summer/Winter 2019)
- Update: Global Warming: A Research Guide to the U.S. Approach to the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol, GlobaLex, NYU Hauser Global Law School Program (June 2019).
- Technologically Competent: Ethical Practice for 21st Century Lawyering, 10 Case W. Res. J.L. Tech. & Internet 1 (2019).
- The ‘Fight Song’ of International Anti-Bribery Norms and Enforcement, 40(2) U. Pa. J. Int'l L. 465 (2019).
- Update: A Basic Guide to International Environmental Legal Research, GlobaLex, NYU Hauser Global Law School Program (May 2017).
- Resources for Becoming Culturally Competent in a Multijurisdictional Practice: G20 Nations and Associated Legal Traditions, 44 Int’l J. Legal Info. 83 (2016).
- Free Speech and Defamation in an Era of Social Media: An Analysis of Federal and Illinois Norms in the Context of Anonymous Online Defamers, 36 N. Ill. U. L. Rev. 1 (2016).
- Update: Global Warming: A Research Guide to the U.S. Approach to the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol, GlobaLex, NYU Hauser Global Law School Program (October 2014).
- Update: A Basic Guide to International Environmental Legal Research, GlobaLex, NYU Hauser Global Law School Program (August 2013).
- Teaching Two Skills at Once: Strengthening Federal Legislative History and Treaty Interpretation Skills in an Advanced Legal Research Course in International Law, SSRN Working Paper (2012).
- Chapter 7: Researching Outside of Illinois: The Laws of Indiana and Wisconsin, in Finding Illinois Law: A Guide for Non-Lawyers (2012).
- Reflections on Teaching WestlawNext to Law Students: Teachable Moments, CALL Bull. (Winter 2012).
- E-books and E-Readers, CALL Bull. (Spring 2012).
- Hathitrust: A New Gem in the Open Access Movement for Digitized Legal Information, CALL Bull. (Summer 2010).
- A Basic Guide to International Environmental Legal Research, GlobaLex, NYU Hauser Global Law School Program (May 2006).
- The Cultural Lives of Capital Punishment: Comparative Perspectives, 34 Int'l J. Legal Info. 179 (2006) (book review).
- GlobaLex: A Unique and Valuable Tool for Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Research, 34 Int'l J. Legal Info. 473 (Winter 2006).
- Cost-Effective Canadian Legal Research: Finding Free Canadian Legal Materials on the Internet, Wis. L. J. (December 29, 2005).
- Commentaries on Arms Control Treaties, Vol. 1: The Convention on the Prohibition 0f the Use, Stockpiling, Production, and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction, 33 Int'l J. Legal Info. 137 (2005) (book review).
- Resolution and Prevention of Health Care Disputes: A Bibliography, with Prof. Josephine Gittler. Iowa City, Iowa: Conflict Management Institute, 2003.
- Voest-Alpine Trading v. Bank of China: Can a Uniform Interpretation of a ‘Direct Effect’ Be Attained Under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA) of 1976?,” 34 Val. U. L. Rev. 515 (Summer 2000).
- Co-Presenter: "Student Assessment: Tips and Tricks from the Trenches," Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA (January 2017).
- "Blog Aggregators and Feeds: A More Efficient Way to Manage News and Legal Information," FCIL-SIS Electronic Interest Group Meeting (July 2006).
- Co-Presenter: “Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Collection Development,” American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) Annual Meeting (Summer 2006).
- Presenter: “Canadian Legal Research” with Mary Sexton, MAALL/MALL Annual Conference, Des Moines, IA (Fall 2004).
Professional Activities and Memberships
- American Association of Law Libraries, Member
- Awards Committee
- Member (2011-2012)
- Vice-Chair (2012-2013)
- Chair (2013-2014)
- Foreign, Comparative and International Law, Special Interest Section
- Webmaster (2005- 2008)
- Secretary/Treasurer (2008-2011)
- Vice Chair/Chair-Elect (2011-2012)
- FCIL-SIS Chair (2012-2013)
- “Spirit of FCIL-SIS” Award (Summer 2007)
- Awards Committee
- Chicago Association of Law Libraries, Member
- Chair, CALL “Committee on Committees” for the 2011-2016 Strategic Plan
- Co-Editor, “TechBuzz” in the CALL BULLETIN (2007-present)
- Vice President/President-Elect (2009-2010)
- President (2010-2011)
- Past President (2011-2012)
- Co-Chair and Member, Government Relations Committee (2005-2009)
- Member, Placement and Recruitment Committee (2012-2013)
- Co-Chair and Member, Continuing Education Committee (2013-present)
- Law Librarians of Wisconsin (“LLAW”) (2002-2005)
- American Society of International Law (2003-present)
- Member of the Illinois Bar (inactive)