A variety of circumstances might require you to teach your class remotely with minimal notice: a campus closure, increased absenteeism during a flu outbreak, a family emergency requiring your presence elsewhere, etc. This guide will provide you with some actions to take when making that shift quickly. The practices highlighted are designed to be simple and straightforward to learn or implement quickly and with limited technology.
- Effective Online Instruction Webinars NEW
- Webinar April 2nd: Welcoming Students to Your Online Environment NEW
- Videoconferencing Alternatives: How Low-Bandwidth Teaching Will Save Us All by Daniel Stanford, DePaul University
- Creating Accessible Digital Materials
- Options for Delivering Exams via Virtual Instruction NEW
- How to Look Your Best on a Webcam
- Student Agency in Uncertain Times
- 30+ Tips for Online Learning Success Shared by NIU Faculty and Staff NEW
- Create and Share Video Content in Your Courses using Kaltura (Guide for Faculty) UPDATED
- Create and Share Video Content in Your Courses using Kaltura (Guide for Students)UPDATED
- Maintaining Equity and Inclusion in Virtual Learning Environments
We're here to help
If you need help with keeping your class running, contact our team who is ready to assist.
Connect with a Remote Teaching Fellow
Have a conversation with an experienced faculty member or instructor about teaching remotely.
Sign-up to attend a workshop or individual support consultation
Online workshops on strategies and tools to teaching remotely are available as well as one-on-one consultations, available online over the phone, for individual assistance with strategies and technology.
Expanded Free Public Wi-Fi
Until further notice, all Xfinity WiFi Public Hotspots are now open to everyone on the “xfinitywifi” SSID. Public hotspots can be found in small/medium businesses and outdoors in commercial areas. Non-Xfinity subscribers need to accept Terms and Conditions to access the network and repeat when requested to continue to receive free unlimited access. Please refer to the map for available public hotspots. UPDATE