International students currently attending a secondary school outside of the U.S.
- High School Diploma: You must have graduated by the time you start at NIU in order to be admitted.
- Grades: You must have passing grades equivalent to a U.S. C+ average on all transcripts and/or exam scores
Incoming freshmen will need to submit the following to be considered for admission to NIU:
Note: students coming on F-1 (student) visas also need to submit proof of financial ability to receive their immigration documents.
Completed NIU Application
Apply online through Undergraduate Admissions.
Final Secondary School Transcript and/or Exam Results
These documents must be official originals or attested copies. Please submit the documents in their original language and also provide an official English translation.
Proof of English Ability
Students enrolling at NIU must first prove they can communicate in English at a university level.
Any one of the following will be considered as adequate proof of English proficiency:
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score report
- TOEFL: Either an Internet-based or paper-based test. Required minimum scores:
- 71 on an Internet-based test- use NIU’s TOEFL Code 1559
- 527 on a paper-based test
- IELTS: Minimum required overall band score of 6.0
- PTE Academic English: minimum score of 48
- IGCSE, GCSE, or GCE O-level or A-Level English test subject. Minimum passing grade of C.
- International Baccalaureate (IB): Score of 4 of higher on English A Standard Level exam
- Completion of ELS level 112 for Academic Purpose offered by ELS Language Centers
- High school diploma from Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and The Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales).
- Students will need to submit official school records