The International Training Office (ITO) develops and conducts short-term customized programs for international clients, utilizing NIU faculty members and community or regional resource people and organizations for educational and cultural experiences.
Our training programs draw upon NIU's excellent academic resources and those in the dynamic business, governmental and non-governmental organizations in metropolitan Chicago to ensure quality programming.
Our office is committed to strengthening the capacities of international professionals and leaders from public, non-profit, or private sector organizations to become catalysts for change in their home countries. We accomplish this mission through innovative training programs and outreach activities that address institutional, professional and societal needs.
What We Do
- Develop and conduct training programs for international audiences utilizing NIU faculty members and community or regional resource people and organizations.
- Market training programs to international organizations that sponsor such training programs.
- Work with NIU faculty members and academic units, who want to develop appropriate training programs for international audiences, in planning, organizing and implementing such programs.
- Develop customized training programs for individuals from other countries, utilizing the resources of the university, community and region.
- Develop and maintain contacts with funding organizations (public, private and non-profit) in Washington, DC and other locations (e.g., US AID, World Bank, State Department, Department of Education) in order to determine training or technical assistance opportunities that NIU faculty members can take advantage of.