If it appears you'll be disabled for more than 60 days and that your disability will extend beyond the period you're eligible for sick pay, contact us to request a disability application form. Your application must be on file with SURS within one calendar year after the date on which your disability occurred.

SURS will approve or deny your request. All your sick benefits must be used first. We advise you to use vacation time as well. When the leave is approved, be sure to turn in your keys and NIU equipment.

For more information, refer to these policies:

If you're a faculty member, please review the Extension of the Tenure Probationary Period Policy.

Disclaimer: The information contained in the Life Events section is a summary and may not include all conditions, limitations, or exceptions that may be applicable to a particular situation. Every effort has been made to present current information without inaccuracies; however, errors, additions, deletions, and changes in the laws or procedures may occur and could make the information out of date or inaccurate. Therefore, users of this website are advised of their responsibility to contact the HRS Service Center (815-753-6000) directly for specific information relating to benefits and to confirm the accuracy and completeness of the posted information.

Contact Us

Human Resource Services
Human Resources/Document Services Building
1515 West Lincoln Highway
P: 815-753-6000
F: 815-753-2335

Ask HR a question

State and Federal Notices

Back to top