Birth constitutes a qualifying change in status which allows a member to add a newborn dependent to their insurance coverage. Child Life can also be added for the newborn child. The member may also increase Member Optional Life coverage with statement of health approval. The member must notify the agency in writing within 60 days of the birth and provide a copy of the birth certificate. Note: Hospital birth certificates are acceptable.
- Faculty Members: Extension of the Tenure Probationary Period
- Workplace Breastfeeding Policy and Procedure
- Tax Exemptions
- (W-4 Form)
- SURS Pension (update Beneficiary information)
- State Universities Retirement System Member Website
- Life Insurance (update Beneficiary information)
- 403B Provider (update Beneficiary information)
- 457 Plan Provider (update Beneficiary information)
- State of Illinois Central Management Services (CMS)
- 1-800-442-1300 (Deferred Compensation Office)
- Insurance (add coverage)
- 1-815-753-6000 (ask to be connected to the HR Benefits Office)
- Supply a copy of the birth certificate
- Supply a copy of SSN (once received)
- Questions, contact the HRS Service Center at 815-753-6000.
- NOTE: Always keep your contact information up to date. To change address, name or update emergency contact information complete the Personal Data - Name Address Form
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in the Life Events section is a summary and may not include all conditions, limitations, or exceptions that may be applicable to a particular situation. Every effort has been made to present current information without inaccuracies; however, errors, additions, deletions, and changes in the laws or procedures may occur and could make the information out of date or inaccurate. Therefore, users of this website are advised of their responsibility to contact the HRS Service Center (815-753-6000) directly for specific information relating to benefits and to confirm the accuracy and completeness of the posted information.