Entering into a marriage or civil union partnership constitutes a qualifying change in status which allows a member to add coverage for the spouse/civil union partner and any stepchild(ren) or children of the civil union partner. Members may also increase or decrease Member Optional Life coverage, add Spouse Life or Child Life, opt out of health/ life/dental coverage and/or opt back into group insurance coverage if they had previously opted out. The member must notify their agency of the marriage/civil union partnership in writing within 60 days of the marriage or civil union partnership and provide the marriage/civil union partnership certificate.


  • Payroll
    • (bank account change)
  • Tax Exemptions
  • SURS Pension (update Beneficiary information)
  • Life Insurance (update Beneficiary information)
  • 403B Provider (update Beneficiary information)
  • 457 Plan Provider (update Beneficiary information)
    • State of Illinois Central Management Services (CMS)
      • 1-800-442-1300 (Deferred Compensation Office)
  • Insurance (add coverage)
    • 1-815-753-6000 (ask to be connected to the HR Benefits Office)
      • Supply a copy of the Marriage License / Civil Union Partnership

Additional Information

  • Questions, contact the HRS Service Center at 815-753-6000.
  • NOTE: Always keep your contact information up to date.  To change address, name or update emergency contact information complete the Personal Data - Name Address Form
    • If Name Changes
      • Copy of new SSN with new name
      • Sign and submit to Human Resource Services

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in the Life Events section is a summary and may not include all conditions, limitations, or exceptions that may be applicable to a particular situation. Every effort has been made to present current information without inaccuracies; however, errors, additions, deletions, and changes in the laws or procedures may occur and could make the information out of date or inaccurate. Therefore, users of this website are advised of their responsibility to contact the HRS Service Center (815-753-6000) directly for specific information relating to benefits and to confirm the accuracy and completeness of the posted information.