Qualifying Change in Status
Outside of the annual Benefit Choice period employees experiencing a qualifying change in status have certain options, including opting out of or into health, dental and vision coverage if requested within 60 days. Any mid-year election change must be consistent with the qualifying change in status the member has experienced. Qualifying changes in status include:
- An event that changes the employee’s legal relationship status, some examples include:
- Civil Union Partnership
- Legal Separation
- An event that changes the employee’s number of dependents, including:
- Placement for Adoption
- An event that changes the employment status of the employee, their spouse, or their dependent, including:
- A termination of employment
- Commencement or a return from an unpaid leave of absence
- A change in the individual’s employment status that changes their eligibility for insurance
- An event that causes an employee’s dependent to satisfy or cease to satisfy eligibility requirements for coverage.
- A change of residential or work county for the employee, spouse, civil union partner/ or dependent.
Need More Information?
Call the HRS Service Center at 815-753-6000 and ask to be connected to one of our HR associates.
Central Management Services http://www.cms.illinois.gov