First and foremost, please know we’re committed to ensuring your safety and well-being during this ever-changing global crisis. Though face-to-face instruction at NIU has been discontinued for spring 2020, we're continuing to offer housing in New Hall and Northern View Apartments through the end of the semester for students who have no alternate housing plans. We’re here to support you and help you navigate this new learning environment.
If You’re Remaining On Campus
You should already either remain in Northern View Apartments or have completed your move to New Hall by Sunday, March 29. We will continue to reach out to students on campus via your Huskie email account. We want to thank you for your incredible patience and cooperation during the past two weeks.
Important information for students currently living on campus follows:
- It’s vital you keep reading your emails and checking for updates here and on our coronavirus (COVID-19) site.
- Please remember that the Stay-At-Home Order issued by the Illinois Governor’s Office remains in effect until April 30, 2020. You should honor that order and continue to follow the recommend social distancing guidelines. This includes avoiding gathering in groups in common spaces without establishing appropriate distances.
- Campus Dining operations have been adjusted as well for the remainder of the 2020 semester. New Hall Dining will serve pre-packaged meals for lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and dinner from 4 to 6 p.m. When students come get lunch or dinner, an additional bag of food for their room will be provided. Breakfast may be included in the bag. Special dietary needs can be addressed by emailing email@example.com.
- We will continue to have staff in your buildings, and we will try to have a certain level of limited desk operation hours available. We will attempt to keep our mail and package services operating as normal if permitted.
- Please know that modified student services are available for the rest of the semester. See updates to our campus operations page.
- Because of the reduced services available on campus, students who remain in residence halls or Northern View apartments will receive a $275 credit to their accounts. Please refer to the President’s email for more details.
If You’ve Moved Out of the Residence Halls or Northern View Apartments
We’ve made the following adjustments to student accounts for housing and dining fees:
- Students who checked out of their residence hall or Northern View apartment on or before March 22, 2020, will receive a 50% credit of their current room and board rate for the Spring semester. Please refer to the President’s email for more details.
- All undergraduate, graduate and law students will receive by April 10 a $25 per-credit-hour adjustment for on-campus general fees up to 12 credits.
- Adjustments will be reflected on student accounts, and in MyNIU. Detailed information was sent out in this March 24 communication.
- If you have questions specifically related to your student account or the credit adjustments that are being applied, please email the Bursar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If You’re Still Planning to Return to Move Items Out of the Residence Halls or Northern View Apartments
If you canceled your housing but were unable to return to campus to retrieve your belongings, please know we will make accommodations and securely store your belongings until a time when there are fewer social distancing measures in place and the Stay-At-Home order is lifted. We will not charge students for items remaining in the halls during this time.
We are working through the requests to schedule appointments for students who have asked to return. Please be patient as we work through those requests. We will respond to your Huskie email account.
If you have not yet requested an appointment, please email us at email@example.com for assistance. Please only send one request and provide us a time to respond.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about Staying in Housing
I want to return to stay in my room for the rest of the semester; now what?Updated
Will my housing and dining fees be adjusted if I stay?Updated
If you have not received a new housing assignment for the rest of the spring semester, you need to email firstname.lastname@example.org, and put Requesting A Room for Spring in the subject line. We will respond as we are able based upon availability of rooms.
What other services will reopen on-campus?
Students who continue to live on-campus, with access to limited resources, will receive a $275 credit. Detailed information on adjustments made to student accounts can be found in this March 24 communication.
Will there still be staff in the residence halls?
It is difficult to say what student services will be provided with the constant changes. The university is still making decisions, and all information will be updated on the Campus Operations web site. Dining services will try to operate on a grab and go basis every day for students with dining plans as federal and state guidelines permit.
Will residence halls be cleaned?Updated
Yes, we will continue to have Housing and Residential Services staff in all buildings. However, our services will be different based on changing federal and state guidelines.
What are my meal options?Updated
Our facilities team has been working diligently and will continue to disinfect “high touch” surfaces in public areas and in restrooms, as they are permitted to work under federal and state guidelines. There are also additional hand sanitizers throughout the residence halls. Promoting good hygiene practices is important to prevent the spread of viruses.
New Hall Dining will serve pre-packaged meals for lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and dinner from 4 to 6 p.m. When students come get lunch or dinner, an additional bag of food for their room will be provided. Breakfast may be included in the bag. Special dietary needs can be addressed by emailing email@example.com.
Questions about Moving Out of Housing
How do I get my mail forwarded home?
I already moved out my items, am I able to send my key back?
Please go to MyNIU now and update your permanent address and contact information.
Yes. Please use a certified letter or courier service to make sure you can track the envelope. The key should be wrapped in something like a napkin and the corners of the envelope should be taped, so the key does not poke through the envelope and fall out. You should send tracking information to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name, hall and room number, and zID.
The mailing address for your envelope is:
c/o Isabel Vargas, Facilities Coordinator
101 Neptune East
DeKalb, IL 60115