Internships and Externships
The University Honors Program has partnered with NIU Career Services to offer paid experiences with the DeKalb County Nonprofit Partnership. In this program students will be matched with an organization in DeKalb County for an internship of approximately 10 hours a week. While designed for sophomores and juniors, this program is open to all University Honors students in good standing (regardless of intended major) and is approved for an Honors Engaged point.
To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Completed 30+ hours of college credit (at any institution) by the semester in which the internship begins.
- Attend an orientation session during the semester before the internship experience begins.
- Attend interviews (to be matched with an organization) during the start of the semester in which the internship begins.
- Work 120+ hours over the course of the semester for the internship experience.
- Attend approximately three to six class seminars during the internship semester on professional development topics.
Application information will be available in the fall 2019 semester.
The University Honors Program has partnered with the NIU Alumni Association to offer one-week externship experiences for students in January of each year. In this program, selected students will be matched to an alumnus/a who will act as a mentor to provide first-hand experience in a career they are exploring. This program is open to all University Honors students in good standing (regardless of intended major) and is an Honors Engaged approved experience as well as a pre-approved Engage PLUS experience.
Key timeline for the program:
- Application due Oct. 11.
- Students notified of matches early December.
- Pre-experience research on site due by end of fall semester.
- Externship experience: Jan. 6-10, 2020.
- Post-experience reflection due two weeks after completion.