Gordon Seagrave: The Burma Surgeon
- John Hay: The Gentleman as Diplomat, University of Michigan Press, 1975
- Protestant Missionaries in the Philippines, 1898-1916: An Inquiry into the American Colonial Mentality, Champaign: University of Illinois Press, 1986
- Quest for Freedom: The United States and the Independence of India. New York: Columbia University Press, 1995. Indian edition, New Delhi: Prentice-Hall, 1997
- The United States and Cambodia, 1870-1969: From Curiosity to Confrontation (London and New York: Routledge, 2004) [Together with the following book, winner of the Robert H. Ferrell Book Prize for 2005 from the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations.]
- The United States and Cambodia, 1969-2000: A Troubled Relationship (London and New York: Routledge, 2004) [Together with the previous book, winner of the Robert H. Ferrell Book Prize for 2005 from the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations.]
- Troubled Relations: The United States and Cambodia Since 1870 . (DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University Press, forthcoming 2007). This is an updated, revised, and abridged version of my two volume history of the US-Cambodian relationship.
- A Delicate Relationship: The United States and Burma/Myanmar Since 1945. Cornell University Press, 2015.
- Editor, The Vietnam War: Its History, Literature, and Music. El Paso: Texas Western Press, 1998. Distributed by the University of Texas Press.
I teach courses in the history of American foreign relations. Specialized courses include the United States in Southeast Asia, and Asia and America.
- HIST 475 The United States and Southeast Asia and the Indian Subcontinent
- HIST 476 American Foreign Relations to 1914
- HIST 477 American Foreign Relations Since 1914
- HIST 470 America and Asia
- Graduate seminars related to the above topics
Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Distinguished Research Professor
Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1970
U.S. Foreign Relations