Flooring and Window Coverings
Flooring and Window Coverings, located in the Dorland Building, provides renovation and repair services for university-owned furnishings including furniture, flooring, drapery and window blinds, on a direct cost chargeback to the requesting department. Our operations include:
- Repairing all types of furniture
- Reupholstering furniture in a wide variety of fabrics and colors
- Refinishing wood furniture
- Custom fabricating draperies in a wide selection of fabrics and colors
- Custom measure and order of window blinds
- Provide/coordinate installation of carpet stock in a variety of patterns and colors
- Window tinting
Flooring and Window Coverings purchases and maintains an inventory of new commercial grade carpet stock in a limited selection of colors or a department can custom order a color of their choice. Installation is also arranged by Flooring and Window Coverings through open order contracts with professional installers. The cost of installation is also charged back to the customer.
A wide selection of fabrics, patterns, and colors of upholstery fabric is available from several suppliers used by Flooring and Window Coverings. A more limited selection of fabric is carried in stock. Upholstery services include recovering, repairing, new cushions, re-webbing, spring repair and any other work necessary to restore quality furniture to "like new" condition.
Flooring and Window Coverings also custom fabricates drapery from a wide selection of fabrics available from several suppliers. Services include custom measuring, ordering of drapery rods, fabrication of finished drapery and installation. Repairs to existing drapery
Window blinds, both vertical and horizontal, are available in custom fit sizes and a wide variety of colors on special order. Installation services are also coordinated and provided where appropriate.
All types of furniture repairs, to both metal and wood-framed furniture, are available through the operation, including refinishing of wood surfaces, recovering of acoustical panels and workstation partitions and custom fabrication of wood components where needed.
Repair/Installation Request Procedures
- Please place a work request by following the instructions on the Work Request Form
- Items can be examined on-site or picked up for shop evaluation at Flooring and Window Coverings
- Choose fabric and color desired for upholstery and/or drapery fabrication, or request fabric samples for review at your department location
- Indicate whether a pre-job estimate is needed
- Provide a valid university cost center when placing the work request to initiate job order
- When billing account number has been provided, a work order will be initiated to have items picked up by the movers or by Flooring and Window Coverings Staff
- When the work is completed, the items will be returned to the customer for approval. Billings will be processed as of the 15th and last calendar day of the month. To help create a more accurate end-of-year budget status and accommodate lapse transactions, June billings will be processed as of June 15, June 29 and June 30. The journal number (i.e., WKO062016) will remain the same for all billings within each month but dated for each billing cycle as outlined above.
Estimates will be furnished upon request, after detailed inspection of the items needing work, on a guaranteed "cost estimate plus 10%" basis. If the actual cost is below the estimate furnished, the lower amount will be charged. Request an estimate.
Approved Line Items for Furniture Repair Charges
- Revenue Bond accounts may charge repair work to PeopleSoft account #693100 (repair and maintenance) or #693050 (university residence halls)
- Local Fund accounts may charge to account #690005 or #693100
- General Revenue accounts may charge to line item #690005 only (contractual services)
- All billings are processed against departmental budgets through an internal transfer of funds.
Flooring and Window Coverings does not normally assemble new furniture, or dismantle furniture so it can be moved or
Furniture Resale offers new and used office furniture for sale to university departments. Furniture offered for resale includes factory seconds, showroom overstock, discontinued and pre-owned items. We also carry refurbished furniture from the surplus area this is meant to be repurposed within the university at a low price. If you do not see what you are looking for, contact us. For more information, please call 815-753-6287.
Please see the current list of available items.