Campus Weather Safety
Part of staying safe on campus is being aware of weather safety. We’ve compiled resources to help you learn about dealing with storms, excessive heat or cold, and other inclement weather conditions.
For information on campus closures related to weather conditions, check the NIU weather status update page.
The following resources will inform you about current weather and road conditions, as well as power outages:
- Weather watches, warnings and advisories in DeKalb.
- Illinois road conditions map.
- ComEd power outage map.
Use the following resources to educate yourself about weather and how to stay safe in extreme conditions:
- National Weather Service publications.
- Weather watch and warning definitions.
- Severe thunderstorm safety.
- Lightning safety tips and resources.
- Heat safety tips and resources.
- Cold weather safety.
Learn about designated tornado shelter areas on campus with the following resources:
- Campus map (select Public Safety in the drop-down menu to locate tornado shelters).
- List of campus tornado shelters (PDF).
Storm spotters are people who are trained to make reports on weather conditions such as hail and flooding. Learn more about storm spotting with the following National Weather Center resources: