- First- and Second-Year Experience
Your First-Year Experience
We aim to help you successfully adjust to NIU. Through student-focused programs, courses and collaborative partnerships with faculty and staff, First-Year Experience strives to enhance your academic achievement, increase the likelihood of returning for your second year and help you integrate into the academic and social communities found on our campus.
- UNIV 101: A one-credit hour course to help you succeed at NIU
- Student-Faculty Links (SFL): Get connected with a faculty or staff member with this mentorship program.
- First- and Second-Year Success Series (FSYSS): Brief workshops designed to assist and answer your questions about your first year
- REACH: We reach out to you via phone and assist with your overall transition to the university
- Huskies Get Connected: This customized program that helps you become involved in academic and extracurricular life at NIU, building on your needs and interests
- Common Reading Experience (CRE): Initiate and integrate your common intellectual experience broadly across campus, while strengthening relationships with NIU community and beyond.