Native Plant Garden Project
The ESE Institute and Communiversity Gardens have been working together to install a native prairie graden at NIU. The intent of the garden is to demonstrate that native plants can be used in aesthetically pleasing ways. The ESE Institute and Communiversity Gardens students will plan, plant, and maintain the garden.
If you would like to be involved with the garden please contact Melissa Burlingame at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Potential Donors
- Adopt the raised bed along North Stevenson Drive located between Grant Towers and Stevenson Towers. The raised bed is located across the road from the West Lagoon.
- Approximately 1,650 students live in Grant and Stevenson Towers. North Stevenson Drive is traveled by students, parents, and community members, making it a high profile location.
- The plants were installed in August 2013 and the bed has been weeded once in September and once in October.
- Funding for educational displays about sustainable landscaping ($500).
- Gardening equipment: hose, shovels, spading fork, heavy-duty gloves.
- Pizzo & Associates
- Committee for the Preservation of Wildlife
- Art Bingham
- Environmental Studies Club
- NIU Grounds
- Michaela Holtz
- Dan Kenney
View photos of the garden online
Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability, and Energy/ENVS
325 Montgomery Hall
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115