Mission, Vision and Core Values
The mission of the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning is to provide opportunities for undergraduates to engage in hands-on learning experiences, which assist in the development of critical thinking skills; the use of creative intellection; and the opportunity to enhance classroom knowledge through real-world application.
We define engaged learning as a student’s personal relationship with learning which results in their active participation in the learning process.
We define experiential learning as the direct application and transfer of knowledge outside of traditional “learning environments,” which involves learning that occurs through hands-on application.
In pursuing our vision and fulfilling our mission, we value:
- Working collaboratively with campus partners in order to create intentional opportunities for engaged and experiential learning.
- Engaging students from diverse backgrounds with diverse perspectives.
- Providing resources for faculty and staff, which support further development of engaged and experiential learning opportunities for undergraduates.
We demonstrate our values by:
- Providing opportunities for students from diverse backgrounds taking into consideration the importance of ensuring an environment that provides both challenging experiences and intentional support.
- Recognizing the importance of working collaboratively with campus and community partners acknowledging our ability to better utilize our resources and to ensure quality through collaboration.
- Taking seriously our ability to provide useful resources for the campus community and ensuring that OSEEL staff are abreast of new trends in the field.