Virginia Wilcox, Ph.D.
Professor, Undergraduate Director and Assistant Chair
Education and Experience
Professor Virginia Wilcox received her Ph.D. from Washington University in 1984. Before joining the faculty at NIU, she taught at the University of Florida and Rutgers University. She has been the principal investigator on several grants from federal agencies and private foundations. In recent years she has served as the director of Graduate Studies and department chair..
- Effects of health on human capital investment
- Labor market outcomesRisk sharing when agents have risk-sensitive preferences
Areas of Specialization
Labor and Health Economics
Economcis 360: Intermediate Microeconomics
- "Do the Sick Retire Early? Chronic Poor Health Asset Accumulation, and Early Retirement". Miah and Wilcox-Gök. Applied Economics 39(15), 2007, 1921-36.
- "Early Onset Depression and High School Dropout," in The Economics of Gender and Mental Illness (Research in Human Capital and Development, Volume 15). D.E.Marcotte and Wilcox-Gök, eds. (Amsterdam: Elsevier Science, 2004) (with D.E.Marcotte, F.Farahati, and C.Borkowski).
- "Estimating Earnings Losses Due to Mental Illness: A Quantile Regression Approach." Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics 6(3), 2003, 123-134 (with D.E.Marcotte).
- "The Effects of Parents' Psychiatric Disorders on Children's High School Dropout." Economics of Education Review, 22(2), 2003 (with F.Farahati and D.E.Marcotte).
- "The Economic Performance of For-Profit and Not-for-Profit Hospitals." Applied Economics, 34, 2002, 479-489. "The Labor Market Effects of Mental Illness: The Case of Affective Disorders." The Economics of Disability, D. Salkever, ed. (Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 2000) (with D.E.Marcotte).
- "Health Service Utilization and Insurance Coverage: A Multivariate Probit Analysis." Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 93, No. 441, 1998, pp. 63-72 (with .D.Gibbons).
- "Mother's Education, Health Practices, and Children's Health Needs: A Variance Components Model." Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. LXVII, No. 4, December 1985, pp. 706-710.
- "Family Background and Child Health: An Application of Sibling and Adoption Data." Review of Economics and Statistics, LXV(2), May 1983, pp. 266-273.
- "Economic Consequences of Mental health Problems in Older People for other Family Members." Wilcox-Gök and McNamee. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 15, 2010, 35-40.
- "The Impact of Maternal Depression on Children’s Cognitive Development: An Analysis Based on Panel Quantile Regressions." Yu and Wilcox-Gök. Economics Letters 126, 2015, 107-09.