George A. Slotsve, Ph.D.
Education and Experience
Professor Slotsve received his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1989. Prior to joining NIU in 1996, he held a position at Vanderbilt University.
- Labor economics
- Income distribution
- Economics of poverty
- Industrial relations
Areas of Specialization
- Labor Economics
- Income Distribution
- Economics 372: Income Distribution and Poverty
- Economcis 403/503: Economics of Human Resources
- "Inequality and Polarization of Male Earnings in the United States, 1968-1990." North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 8, No. 2, 1997, pp. 135-151 (with C.M. Beach and R.P. Chaykowski).
- "A Distributional Analysis of Changes in Earnings Inequality Among Unionized and Nonunionized Male Workers in the United States: 1982-1990." Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. XXIX, Special Issue, April 1996, pp. S109-S113 (with R.P. Chaykowski).
- "Are We Becoming Two Societies?: Income Polarization and the Myth of the Declining Middle Class in Canada." The Social Policy Challenge 12, C.D. Howe Institute, Toronto, March 1996, 190 pp. (with C.M. Beach).
- "Statistical Inference for Decile Means." Economics Letters, 45, 1994, pp. 161-167 (with C.M. Beach, K.V. Chow and J.P. Formby).
- "Polarization of Earnings in the Canadian Labour Market." In Stabilization, Growth and Distribution: Linkages in the Knowledge Era, Bell Canada Papers on Economic and Public Policy, Vol. 2, ed. T.J. Courchene, (John Deutsch Institute, Queen's University), 1994, pp.299-347 (with C.M. Beach).
- "Time-Varying Technological Uncertainty and Asset Prices." Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. XXVI, No. 2, May 1993, pp.392-415 (with K.D. Salyer).
- "A Simultaneous Analysis of Grievance Activity and Outcome Decisions." Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol.45, No. 4, July 1992, pp.724-737 (with R.P. Chaykowski and J.S. Butler).
- "Will That Be Pick-up or Delivery?: An Alternative Spatial Pricing Strategy." Bell Journal of Economics, Vol. 14(1), Spring 1983, pp. 271-274 (with W.J. Furlong).
- "Along the New Keynesian Phillips Curve with Nominal and Real Rigidities" April 2004. Under submission at JEDC. (with J. M. Nason).
- "Employer-Sponsored Training by Firm Size." April 2004, Under submission at Perspectives on Labour and Income. (with R. P. Chaykowski).
- "Estimates of the Contribution of Diagnostic Blood Loss to Anemia in Critical Care Patients: An Objective Mathematical Model to Predict the Influence of Repetitive Phlebotomy."
Zulaf Hall 522
Fall 2019 Office Hours: