Resources for Students


Checking Your Application Status


Getting Involved

If You Have a Complaint

To appeal a disability-related decision made by a DRC staff member, discuss it with the staff member. If that does not resolve the issue, send the DRC director a written description of the issue. The director will investigate and respond to you within 10 class days. If this does not resolve the disability-related issue, you may appeal to the Section 504 compliance officer. Include a written statement describing the complaint, results of the previous appeal and requested resolution. A decision will be made within 10 class days of the request. This will be a final decision.

If you have a disability-related grievance or concern about a department, faculty or staff member, contact your DRC access consultant. If necessary, you may file a written grievance with the chair or director of the department involved, stating the concern, the steps already taken to resolve the issue, the results of those steps, and the requested resolution. The chair/head of the department should respond to this complaint in a timely manner. If you are not satisfied with the resolution, an appeal may be made to the appropriate dean and then, if necessary, to the vice-provost. This will be a final decision.

Have you been accepted to NIU?

If you need accommodations or adapted materials for placement exams, please contact the DRC prior to scheduling orientation.

Contact Us

Disability Resource Center
Campus Life Building, Suite 180
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
815-753-9570 (fax)