- Accused Students
This page contains information for NIU students who are alleged to have violated any part of the NIU Student Code of Conduct or any NIU policy (applicable to students).
Student Conduct Process:
- Your name and information on an incident report simply means that you were allegedly at an incident which is being documented. It does not mean that you violated any part of the NIU Student Code of Conduct, or any NIU policy.
- If you are involved in a situation in which NIU staff or NIU Police ask for your ID and/or other information, you should comply with their request. Failure to comply with the request is considered a violation of the NIU Student Code of Conduct.
- If you receive a Notice of Alleged Violation, it is important to remember that just because you are alleged to have violated any part of the NIU Student Code of Conduct or any NIU policy, it does not mean that you are responsible for that violation. You will have an opportunity to explain your version of the incident in a one-on-one meeting with a student conduct administrator.
- Remember to read all correspondence carefully. Often this correspondence contains appointment information (date, time and location) for a meeting with a Student Conduct Administrator. (If you do not attend this appointment, and do not reschedule, the Student Conduct Process can and will continue without you.)
Accused students are permitted to have an advisor. This advisor may be anyone the accused student chooses. The advisor may, but does not have to be affiliated with NIU. The advisor should be someone who is knowledgeable about the Student Conduct process at NIU. The advisor MAY NOT speak on behalf of the accused student. The advisor MAY ask questions of procedure. Student Conduct maintains a list of volunteer advisors who have been trained about the NIU Student Conduct System. Please contact the office at 815-753-1571 to obtain the name of an advisor. (Please note: Student Conduct does not guarantee that an advisor will be available to assist a student at the requested time. Advisor service is voluntary.)
- Student Conduct encourages accused students to view our FAQ page.
- Accused students should review the NIU Student Code of Conduct which outlines the student conduct process in detail.
- Accused students may also contact Student Conduct (815-753-1571) with questions relating to the NIU Student Conduct System.
- Accused students who live in the residence halls may also contact their hall director or complex coordinator with any questions relating to the NIU Student Conduct System.
- Accused students may also contact the Office of the Ombudsperson (815-753-1414) with questions relating to the NIU Student Conduct System.
Submit an Incident Report
If you would like to submit your version about an incident for which you were documented in writing, please complete a General Incident Report Form.
Campus Life Building, Room 280
DeKalb, IL 60115
Phone: (815) 753-1571
Fax: (815) 753-9289