Regular Volunteer Days
- Dates, times, and weather notifications are typically posted to social media for the Dolce Vita/Northwestern Medicine Garden.
- Tools and supplies are provided. Gloves are available, but feel free to bring your favorite pair. Sunscreen, bug spray and hand sanitizer is also provided.
- Make sure to dress appropriately for the weather and bring your own water bottle.
- Planting – Seeds can be directly sowed to the garden. We also sow seeds in the greenhouse; later, those plants can be transplanted into the garden.
- Weeding and pest/disease control – We use a variety of methods to keep weeds, pests and diseases at bay. This could include manually tending to the garden, manually removing pests or placing ground cover.
- Watering – We have several hoses that reach every corner of the garden. Watering depends on rain and when the plants need it.
- Composting and amending soil – The garden features its own composting system. The compost can be turned, layered and spread throughout the season. Compost, fertilizers or other soil amendments can be added as needed.
- Harvesting – Harvesting of our plants occurs throughout the summer and fall. We prepare the fruits and veggies so they are ready to eat. Then, we deliver the harvested crops to local food pantries.
- Construction – We are continually working on structures to keep our garden running smoothly such as supports, trellises, beds and raised beds.