- College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering at RVC
NIU Engineering @ RVC
A community-based, industry-integrated program to prepare you for the engineering work force of the future.
Engineering students like you are key to our community's success. NIU Engineering @ RVC is the product of a collaboration between NIU, Rock Valley College (RVC) and regional industry partners to foster local talent. Rockford area industry partners offer scholarships, mentorship, internships and job opportunities, connecting you to the professional experience and network to help you succeed.
Connected. Rockford area employers want you! Meet with regional companies through job fairs, one on one internships and other special events. Paid internships and other experiential learning opportunities will help you gain the hands-on experience you need to stand out in your field.
Convenient. Complete your degree and increase your earning potential closer to home and work in Rockford, for a global center of excellence in aerospace and advanced manufacturing.
Affordable. High quality and high value. Take advantage of affordable public university tuition rates from NIU and RVC. Many students who live at home and have a paid internship graduate with little to no college debt!
NIU Engineering@RVC Videos
Learn more! Watch our videos with coordinators, students, alumni and internship employers:
- Discover the convenience and value of the NIU Engineering@RVC program.
- Learn more about the mechanical engineering industry in our region.
- Hear from students and alumni about their experiences.
- Earn your NIU degree in Mechanical Engineering, taught by NIU faculty at RVC.
- Enjoy a program accredited by ABET, the global standard for degrees in engineering and engineering technology.
- Work in new state-of-the art laboratories on the RVC campus and in regional companies.
- Benefit from a program ranked in the Top 50 in the nation by US News & World Report (2019).
- Join the NIU College of Engineering and Engineering Technology’s network of engineering alumni, who have close to a 100 percent job placement rate.
Our convenient four-year program offers individualized advising to guide you through the process. You'll complete your freshman and sophomore years at RVC, then complete your junior and senior years with NIU classes and professors and earn your NIU engineering degree on the Rock Valley College campus. Get more information about the program format.
Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest and most diverse specialty areas in engineering. A degree in Mechanical Engineering offers you flexibility in future employment, as well as the knowledge and skills you need to design devices and products that benefit society. Get more information about BSME careers.
Already working in manufacturing? Boost your career possibilities with a BSAMT. Start with a technical associate in applied science degree. You can fill any gaps in your prerequisites with classes at NIU or your local community college, then take 10 upper-division technology courses through NIU to complete your degree. All of the NIU classes in this program are offered online, giving you the flexibility to take classes when it suits your life. Get started and apply today!
U.S. manufacturing is becoming increasingly high-tech and industries need a work force that can keep up. Your studies will give you the knowledge and skills to adapt to changing technologies. Employees with a bachelor's degree also typically have greater job security and upward mobility than those without. Learn more about the program.
Prospective or Current RVC Students
Attending Another Community College or Seeking Bachelor’s Degree Information
Questions About NIU Classes to Complete Degree at RVC