Abul K. M. Azad, Ph.D.
Associate Dean and Professor
- Ph.D. University of Sheffield, Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Sheffield, United Kingdom (1994)
- M.S. University of Dhaka, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1987)
- B.S. (Hons) University of Dhaka, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1985)
- Diplomain Engineering - Electronics, Dhaka Polytechnic Institute, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1978)
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS)
- Embedded systems
- Mobile robotics
- Computer and real-time control
- "Innovative Remote Smart Home for Immersive Engagement," Illinois Science and Energy Innovation Foundation (ISEIF), Co-PI.
- "Internet Accessible Remote Laboratories with Collaborative Design," National Science Foundation (TUES), PI.
- "Universal Environment for Delivering Remote-Laboratories within the STEM Disciplines," National Science Foundation (CCLI), PI.
- "Design and Development of an Internet Based Physical Laboratory Course within an Undergraduate Program," National Science Foundation (CCLI), PI.
- "Robovolc: A Robot for Volcano Exploration," European Union: Information Societies Technology Program, Co-PI.
- "Bio-robotic Walking Orthosis - Phase 1," Engineering and Physical Science Research Council, United Kingdom, Co-PI.
Leadership and Service
- President,Global Online Laboratory Consortium (2013- current)
- European Commission Expert, Fifth and Sixth research framework (2005-current)
- Board of Trustees Member, CLAWAR Association (2006-2015)
- Board Member, CLAWAR Ltd (2005-2010)
- Executive Board Member (chair/vice chair/program chair), ASEE Computing and Information Technology Division (2005-2013)
- ISO Advisory Team Member, PT-2: Project team of robots in personal care and AG-1: Advisory Group on Service Robots (2007-2013)
- ABET program evaluator (2005-2012)
Editorial and Review Activities
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Online Engineering (2013-current)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transaction of Education (2019-current)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Advances in Acoustics and Vibration (2006-2015)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control (2019-current)
- Editorial Board member, Journal of Engineering (2006-current)
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Online Engineering (2009-2012)
- Department of Defense proposal, proposal reviewer (2008-current)
- Australian Research Council, proposal reviewer (2012-current)
- National Science Foundation, proposal reviewer (2005-current)
- Department of Engineering Technology, Northern Illinois University (2001-present)
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Portsmouth, United Kingdom (1996-2001)
- Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom (1995-1996)
- Atomic Energy Commission, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1978-1987)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL