Donald S. Zinger, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin (1988)
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin (1983)
- Alternative Energy
- Power Electronics
- Electric Machine Control
- Industrial Controls
Professional Associations and Honors
- Illinois Professional Engineer (1996-present)
- IEEE: Senior Member (elected 1994)
- Chairman Industry Applications Society (IAS) Manufacturing Systems Development and Applications Department (MSDAD) (2004-2005)
- Vice Chairman for Papers Industry Applications Magazine for the IAS MSDAD (1999-2003)
- Vice Chairman of the IEEE Rock River Valley Section (RRVS) (2000-2002)
- Chairman of the IEEE RRVS (1999-2000)
- Chairman of the IAS Industrial Automation and Control Committee (IACC) (1997-1998)
- Vice Chairman of the IAS IACC of (1995-1996)
- Student Branch Counselor (1994 – Present)
- Outstanding Student Branch Counselor Award (2006)
- NIU: Outstanding Faculty Advisor (2004), College of Engineering and Engineering Technology (CEET)
- Faculty of the Year for Outstanding Service to Students (2001)
- CEET of the Year for Excellence in Undergraduate Education(2000)
- S. Mir, M. E. Elbuluk, and D. S. Zinger,” PI and Fuzzy Estimators for Tuning the Stator Resistance in Direct Torque Control of Induction Machines,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 13 No. 2 March 1998, pp 279-287
- D. S. Zinger, E. Muljadi, ”Annualized Wind Energy Improvement Using Variable Speeds,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 33, No. 6, Nov./Dec. 1997, pp. 1444-1447.
- L. A. Cabera, M. E. Elbuluk, and D. S. Zinger, "Learning Techniques to Train Neural Networks as a State Selector for Inverter-fed Induction Machines Using Direct Torque Control," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Sept. 1997, vol. 12 No. 5, pp. 788-799.
- A. Miller E. Muljadi, and D. S. Zinger," A Variable Speed Wind Turbine Power Control," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, June 1997, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 181-186
- Mir, S. A. , M. E. Elbuluk, and D. S. Zinger, "Fuzzy implementation of Direct Self Control of Induction Machines," IEEE IAS Trans. , May/June, 1994. pp. 729-735.
- D. Zinger, F. Profumo, T. A. Lipo, and D. W. Novotny, " A Direct Field Oriented Controller for Induction Motor Drives Using Tapped Stator Windings," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 5 No 4, Oct. 1990 pp. 446-453.
- K. B. Nordin, D. W. Novotny, and D. S. Zinger," The Influence of Motor Parameter Deviations to Feedforward Field Orientation Drive Systems," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. IA-21 No. 4, July/Aug. 1985
- Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, NIU (1993-present)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Akron (1988-1993)
- Design Engineer, Midway Manufacturing, Franklin Park, IL (1978-1981)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL