Ting Xia, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa (2007)
- M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa (2000)
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Nanjing University, China (1991)
- Musculoskeletal diseases associated with vibration exposure
- Human performance in response to vibration exposure
- Human physical capability modeling such as strength and endurance
- Low back pain prevention and rehabilitation
Professional Associations and Honors
- Top 30 Poster Abstracts - “Poster Lightning Round” presentation at ASME/FDA First Annual Frontiers in Medical Devices: Applications of Computer Modeling and Simulation, Washington, DC. September 11-13, 2013
- ACCRAC Award Winning Paper, Association of Chiropractic Colleges - Research Agenda Conference, Las Vegas, NV, 2012
- Popular choice, the 35th American Society of Biomechanics annual conference, Long Beach, CA, 2011
- Prometheus Award for Top Government Technology of the Year (Group Award for Virtual Soldier Research Program, University of Iowa), The Technology Association of Iowa, Des Moines, IA, 2007
- Member of American Society of Biomechanics, 2008-present
- Member of editorial board: Journal of Pain Research
- Guest editor, International Journal of Human Factors Modelling and Simulation, 2015
- Session Co-Chair (Spine), The 36th American Society of Biomechanics annual meeting, Gainesville, FL, August 15-18, 2012
- Reviewer (selected): Clinical Biomechanics, Ergonomics, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, Journal of Biomechanics, Journal of Pain Research, PLOS One.
Selected PublicationsBook Chapters
- Frey-Law L, Xia T, Laake A: Modeling Human Physical Capability: Joint Strength and Range of Motion. In Handbook of Digital Human Modeling: Research for Applied Ergonomics and Human Factors Engineering. Duffy V, Editor. Taylor & Francis Group/CRC Press, 2008
- Bazrgari B and Xia T (2017). Application of advanced biomechanical methods in studying low back pain – recent development in estimation of lower back loads and large-array surface electromyography and findings. Journal of Pain Research. 10: 1677-1685
- Xia T, Long CR, Vining RD, Gudavalli MR, DeVocht JW, Kawchuk GN, Wilder DG, Goertz CM (2017). Association of lumbar spine stiffness and flexion-relaxation phenomenon with patient-reported outcomes in adults with chronic low back pain – a single-arm clinical trial investigating the effects of thrust spinal manipulation. BMC – Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 17:303
- Xia T, Long CR, Gudavalli MR, Wilder DG, Vining RD, Rowell RM, Reed WR, DeVocht JW, Goertz CM, Owens EF, Meeker WC (2016). Similar effects of thrust and non-thrust spinal manipulation found in adults with subacute and chronic low back pain – a controlled trial with adaptive allocation. Spine. 41(12):E702-9.
- Goertz CM, Xia T, Long CR, Vining RD, Pohlman KA, DeVocht JW, Gudavalli RM, Owens EF, Meeker WC, Wilder DG (2016): Effects of spinal manipulation on sensorimotor function in low back pain patients – a randomized controlled trial. Manual Therapy. 21(1):183–190
- Xia T and Frey Law L (2015): Wrist joint torque-angle-velocity envelope evaluation and modeling. International Journal of Human factors modelling and simulation. 5(1):33-52.
- Gudavalli R, DeVocht J, Tayh A, Xia T (2013): ACCRAC Award Winning Paper – Effect of sampling rates on the quantification of forces, durations, and rates of loading of simulated side posture high-velocity, low-amplitude lumbar spine manipulation. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 36(5):261-6
- Frey Law LA, Lee JE, McMullen TR, Xia T (2010). Relationships between maximum holding time and ratings of pain and exertion differ for static and dynamic tasks. Applied Ergonomics. 42(1):9-15
- Rahmatalla S, Smith R, Meusch J, Xia T, Marler T, Contratto M (2010). A Quasi-Static Discomfort Measure in Whole-Body Vibration. Industrial Health. 48(5):645-53
- Xia T and Frey Law L (2008): A theoretical approach for modeling peripheral muscle fatigue and recovery. Journal of Biomechanics, 41(14):3046-3052.
- Xia T, Ankrum J, Spratt K, Wilder D (2008): Seated human response to simple and complex impacts: Paraspinal muscle activity. International Journal Industrial Ergonomics, 38(9-10):767–774.
- Rahmatalla S, Xia T, Contratto M, Kopp G, Wilder D, Frey-Law L, Ankrum J (2008): Three-dimensional Motion Capture Protocol for Seated Operators in Whole Body Vibration. International Journal Industrial Ergonomics, 38(5-6):425-433.
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Northern Illinois University (2018-present)
- Assistant Professor, Palmer College of Chiropractic, (2009-2017)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Center for Computer-Aided Design, University of Iowa (2007-2009)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL