Federico Sciammarella, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Interim Chair
- Ph.D. in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (2003)
- M.S. in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (1998)
- B.S. in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (1994)
- Optical Methods (moiré, interferometry, holography) for characterization of materials and structures
- Laser materials processing (i.e. additive manufacturing, welding, heat treating, etc.)
- Strategic Support for Laser-Based Manufacturing, National Science Foundation
- Development and Validation of Physics-Based AM Models for Process Control and Quality Assurance, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Fabricating the Case Western thermal fatigue dunk test geometry via the LENS process with Ohio State University
- Fabricating validation samples using laser-engineered net shaping (LENS) process with Northwestern University
- Intraocular Ophthalmic Cutting Device with UIC
- Irregular Titanium Powder Build Analysis, sponsored by Cristal Metals
Professional Associations and Honors
FlydeElectronics Prize: Best Paper in Strain Journal 2010
- A.F. Davis Silver Medal Award from AWS for the paper submitted to the Welding Journal entitled “Cladding in Marine Applications Using High Power Direct Diode Laser” 2009
- TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award (MPMD) 2007
- R&D 100 in Electronics for Power Measurement Calorimetric System 2005 (team award)
- R&D 100 in Process Technology for Automated Laser Cladding 2004 (team award)
- Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM), President of Optical Division in SEM 2003-2004
- Christine Mirzayan Science & Technology Policy Internship Program of the National Academies Summer 2003
- Sciammarella C.A., Sciammarella
F.M. ,“Experimental Mechanics of Solids,” Wiley Publishing, April 2012
- Sciammarella C.A., Lamberti L., Sciammarella F.M., “Holography at the Nano Level with visible wavelengths,” Holography, Dr. E. Mihaylova (Ed.), ISBN: 980-953-307-769-2, Invited book chapter. InTech, 2012.
- Sciammarella F.M., Sciammarella C.A., Lamberti L., “Processing of
a HRTEMImage Pattern to Analyze an Edge Dislocation” Experimental Analysis of Nano and Engineering Materials and Structures, Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, Springer Netherlands, ISBN 978-1-4020-6238-4 (Print) 978-1-4020-6239-1 (Online), 2007
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Sciammarella F.M. “Moving Laser Research from the Lab to Industry,” Welding Journal, May, Vol. 91 Issue 5, pp. 50-53, 2012.
- Sciammarella, C.A., Lamberti, L., Boccaccio, A., Sciammarella, F.M. High precision contouring with moiré and related methods: A review. STRAIN, Vol. 47 (SUPPL. 2), pp. 43-64, 2011.
Sciammarella, F.M., Sarangi, S., “Failure Analysis of a Crimping Mechanism,” Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, Volume 10, Number 6, Pages 525-530, 2010.
- Sciammarella, C.A., Lamberti, L., Sciammarella, F.M., Demelio, G.P., Dicuonzo, A., Boccaccio, A. “Application of plasmons to the determination of surface profile and contact strain distribution.” STRAIN, Vol. 46 (4), pp. 307-323, 2010. AWARDED AS BEST PAPER PUBLISHED IN STRAIN FOR THE YEAR 2010.
- Malin, V. and Sciammarella, F.M., "Cladding in Marine Applications Using High Power Direct Diode Laser," Welding Journal, Sept. Vol 87 Number 8 pp 36-47, 2008.
- Sciammarella C.A., Lamberti L.
andSciammarella F.M., " The Equivalent of FourrierHolography at the Nanoscale," Experimental Mechanics, 2008.
- C A Sciammarella, L Lamberti, C Pappalettere, G Volpicella, and F M Sciammarella “Measurement of deflections experienced by electronic chips during soldering,” Journal of Strain Analysis, Vol 41, No. 8, 2006.
- Malin V., Sciammarella F.M., “Controlling Heat Input by Measuring Net Power,” Welding Journal, pp. 44-50, July 2006.
- Yelistratov A., Sciammarella F.M., “Laser Surfacing with Wire Feeding,” Welding Journal, December 2005.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIU (2007-present)
- Competency Area Manager, Laser Materials Processing Group, National Laser Centre, CSIR, South Africa (2011)
- Research Engineer, Alion Science & Technology, Chicago (2003-2007)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Materials & Mechanical Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology (1998-2003)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL