Andrew W. Otieno, Ph.D.
NIU Presidential Engagement Professor
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, The University of Leeds, UK (1994)
- M.S. in Industrial Engineering, University of Sierra Leone (1985)
- Machining analyses/experimental studies
- Finite element modeling
- Structural health monitoring
- Machine Vision applications
- More than $75K in grants and research activities since 2000.
- Illinois Science and Math Partnership (IMSP) for summer in-service activities with middle and elementary school teachers
- Verizon Foundation SMILE project for middle and high school summer educational activities
- Tool imaging and machinability studies for micromachining applications under the ROCK project
- Manufacturability of plastics filled with ethanol processing corn co-products funded by USDA
- Consulting with local companies (analysis of wind loads on gates; design and installation of an automated sled)
- Thin film thermocouple applications for measurement of temperature in high-speed machining (in collaboration with T. Obikawa at Tokyo University)
- Analysis of tool wear in near dry machining of difficult to machine materials (in collaboration with T. Obikawa at Tokyo University)
Professional Associations and Honors
- K.A. Rosentrator and A.W. Otieno (2006) Considerations for Manufacturing Bio-Based Plastic Products, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 14(4), pp. 335 - 346.
- A. Otieno, C. Pedapati, X. Wan and H. Zhang, (2006) Imaging and Wear Analysis of Micro-tools Using Machine Vision, 2006 IJME-INTERTECH International Conference, October 19-21, 2006, Kean University, Union, N.J.
- Otieno and C. Mirman (2006) Machine Vision Applications in Plastics Injection
Molding :A Case Study of Automated Inspection, J. of Eng. Technology, Spring 2006, pp.26 - 31.
- Otieno, A., Azad, A.K.M. and Balamuralikrishna, R. (2006) Creating a Bridge to Simulate Simultaneous Engineering Experiences for Senior Undergraduate Students - Description and Reflection on a Case Study at Northern Illinois University, European J. of Eng. Ed., 31(2), pp. 181 – 189.
- H.O. Nyongesa, A.W. Otieno and P.L Rosin (2001) Neural Fuzzy Analysis of Delaminated Composites from Shearography Imaging, Composite Structures, 54, pp. 313-318.
- Department of Technology, NIU (2000-present)
- Intelligent Systems Center, University of Missouri-Rolla (1998-2000)
- Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer, University of Nairobi, Kenya (1985 -1998)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL