Yueh-Jaw (YJ) Lin, Ph.D.
Professor and Director, Mechatronics Engineering
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago (1988)
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, National Tsinghua University
- Mechatronics engineering
- Applied robotics in design and automation
- Aircraft deicing and health monitoring
- Renewable energy and energy harvesting
- Global engineering education and research
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2016 University of Texas-Austin Senior Management Development Program Certificate
- 2016 Knowledge Exchange and Impact Award, University of Nottingham for Innovation Team Project – Low Carbon Manufacturing of Automotive Parts, 2014-16.
- Ningbo, China Thousand Talents Award, 3315 Advanced Materials Projects, 2014.
- NASA Glenn Research Center Director’s Award of Outstanding Management in 2010.
- Outstanding Professor Award, CECS at University of Texas Tyler, 2009.
- Phone interviewed by Journalist Tom Simonite of New Scientist Magazine, London for the article in IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, entitled “Mechatronic Development of Self-Actuating In Flight Deicing Structures,”.
- Plaques of Recognition, 2000, 2002 OAI Collaborative Core Research Programs Certificate of Recognition.
- 1996, 1997 NASA-ASEE Summer Faculty Fellow.
- Certificate for Advanced Technology in Manufacturing Automation by NSF/SME.
- Outstanding Paper Award, SCS 1994 Workshop on Neural-Network/Fuzzy Systems.
- 1993 Best Paper Presentation Award, American Control Conference.
- 1981 Design & Production Engineer Award, Sampo Corporation.
Selected Professional Activities
- Honorary Visiting Professor, Hebei University of Science and Technology, 2018.
- Honorary Advisor, Shanghai Additive Manufacturing Association, 2017.
- External Examiner of Multimedia University, Melaka, Malaysia since 2008.
- Serving as Lead Guest Editor for Journal of Control Science and Engineering for the 2012 special issue in MEMS & NEMS Sensing, Control and Fabrication.
- Founding Director of Innovative Learning Research for Technical Excellence at NASA NSC, Cleveland, OH 2007-2008 (Buyout from U of Akron).
- Serving on The IEEE Robotics & Automation Society Technical Committee (RAS TC) on Semiconductor Manufacturing Automation, term started November, 2006.
- On the Editorial Board of Cybernetics and Systems (Open) Journal since 2007.
- On the Editorial Advisory Board of Assembly Automation Journal since 2003.
- On the Editorial Advisory Board of Industrial Robot Journal since 2007.
- Consultant, Aircraft Braking System Corp., 1995 - 1999. The Technology House, Inc. 2003-2005. Electric Sensors Corp. 2006 – 2008.
- Member of ASME, IEEE, ASEE, SME
- Paper referee of ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Robotica, Mechatronics, Journal of Robotic Systems, and ASME & IEEE Conf.
Selected Invited Presentations
- “Dynamic Modeling and Real-Time Position Control of Closed-Chain Robot Manipulators”, University of Navada, Las Vegas, May, 1989.
- “Fuzzy Logic Control of a Multi-Degree-of-Freedom Reaction Compensating Platform System”, NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, OH, Aug., 1993.
- “Vibration Control of Composite Shell Structures with Piezoelectric Sensors/Actuators”, 1996 NASA-ASEE Summer Faculty Research Report, 73, September, 1996.
- “New Algorithm for CAD-Directed CMM Dimensional Inspection Path Planning Using B-Rep Traversers Schemes”, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, April, 1997.
- “Development of Smart Composite Cantilever Plate Structure for Aerospace Applications”, 1999 OAI CCRP Program, May, 2000.
- “Coordinate Transformation Research for Accuracy Improvement of Geometric Metrology”, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, May, 2001.
- “Inflight Deicing Using Self-Actuating Smart Structures”, 2001 OAI CCRP Program, April, 2002.
- “Development of Self-Actuated In-Flight Deicing Technology Utilizing Smart Structure Concepts”, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH, Nov., 2003.
- “Development of a Novel Aircraft Deicing Technology Utilizing Smart Structure Concepts”, Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, MI, Feb., 2007.
- “An Investigation of Buckypapers' Young's Modulus Utilizing Nanoscale Modeling and Molecular Dynamics”, Texas A&M International University, Laredo, TX, July, 2007.
- “Innovative Training Research Utilizing Contemporary Computer Technology”, NASA Safety Center, GRC, Cleveland, OH, August, 2007.
- “An Investigation of Buckypapers' Young's Modulus Utilizing Nanoscale Modeling and Molecular Dynamics Simulation”, The University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, TX, Apr., 2008.
- “Contemporary Distance Training of Safety and Mission Assurance for Technical Excellence – Mediasite Tool Implementation”, NASA Safety Center, Cleveland, OH, May, 2008.
- “Innovative Leaning Research for Technical Excellence Utilizing Blackboard Digital Networks Technology”, NSC Technical Excellence STEP Summit, Cleveland, OH, July, 2008.
- “Nanofiber Integrated Nanopolymer Sheets in Engineering Applications”, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, Apr., 2013.
- “Vision and Perspectives of Engineering and Technology Education”, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL., Apr., 2013.
- “Nanomaterial Fabrication for Mechatronic Applications to Aerospace Structural Health Monitoring”, University of Nottingham Ningbo China, Ningbo, China, June, 2013.
- “Low Carbon Manufacturing of Automotive Parts”, Hebei University of Science and Technology, Shijiajuang, China, October, 2015.
- “Light-weight Design and Green Manufacturing of Dies and Molds for Auto Parts Fabrication”, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, March, 2016.
- “The Innovation in Engineering Design Education”, invited Keynote Speech at 2016 Asian Engineering Deans’ Symposium, Hangzhou, May, 2016.
- “Multi-Phased Flow Resolutions on Air Entrapment During Die Casting Processes”, Hebei University of Science and Technology, Shijiajuang, China, October, 2017.
- “The Progressive Development in Additive Manufacturing Research and Education at University of Nottingham”, invited Keynote Speech at 2nd International Additive Manufacturing Technology Forum, October, 2017.
- “Mechatronics Applications, Design for Manufacturing, and Energy Harvesting”, invited seminar, School of Design and Engineering, Jefferson University, Philadelphia, May, 2018.
- “Aircraft Deicing, Buckypaper Applications and Energy Harvesting”, invited seminar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, SUNY Korea, Seoul, Korea, May, 2018.
- “Flow-Induced Energy Harvesting Utilizing MFC Integrated Bluff Bodies Structures”, Hebei University of Science and Technology, Shijiajuang, China, June, 2018.
- “Mechatronics Engineering Applications, Design for Manufacturing, and Energy Harvesting”, invited seminar, College of Engineering, University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, August, 2018.
- “Mechatronics Education and Research, and Vision on Team Building”, invited seminar, College of Engineering, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, April, 2019.
Recent Book Publications
- Francis Nickols and YJ Lin, “Creating Precision Robots – A Project-Based Approach to the Study of Mechatronics and Robotics”, 1st Ed., Elsevier Publishing Co., London, UK, ISBN 9780128157589, Aug., 2018.
- Francis Nickols and YJ Lin, “Omni-Directional Hexapod Walking Robots: Design and Programming of the Central Pattern Generator to Achieve Complex Behavior Patterns”, ASME Press Robotics Book Series, New York, NY, in press, 2019.
Selected Refereed Publications
- Song, S.M. and Lin, Y.J., “A Computationally Efficient Method for Manipulator Dynamic Analysis”, Journal of Robotic Systems, 6 (2), 175-189, 1989.
- Lin, Y.J. and Song, S.M., “A Comparative Study of Inverse Dynamics of Manipulators With Closed-Chain Geometry”, Journal of Robotic Systems, 7 (4), 507-534, 1990.
- Lin, Y.J., Song, S.M., and Priemer, R., “Microcomputer-Based Real-Time Control of a Pantograph Mechanism Robot”, Engineering With Computers, 6 (1), 47-64, 1990.
- Lin, Y.J. and Tegland, A., “Feasibility Study of Designing a Tripedal Robot”, Mechatronic Systems Engineering, 1, 343-357, 1992.
- Lin, Y.J. and Lee, T.S., “Comprehensive Dynamic Modeling and Motion/Force Control of Flexible Manipulators”, Mechatronics, 2 (2), 129-148, 1992.
- Lin, Y., Lu, Y. and Padovan, J., “Fuzzy Logic Control of Active Vehicle Suspension System”, I. Journal of Vehicle Design, 14 (5/6), 457-470, 1993.
- Lin, Y.J. and Lee, T.S., “An Investigation of Fuzzy Logic Control of Flexible Robots”, Robotica, 11, 363-371, 1993.
- Lee, T.S. and Lin, Y.J., “Numerical Integration Effectiveness in Inverse Dynamics Computation of Manipulator Systems”, Cybernetics and Systems, 24 (5), 355-374, 1993.
- Lin, Y.J. and Zhang, H.Y., “Simplification of Manipulator Dynamic Formulation Utilizing Dimensionless Method”, Robotica, 11, 139-147, 1993.
- Gogate, S.D. and Lin, Y.J., “Formulations and Control of Robots with Link and Joint Flexibility”, Robotica, 11, 273-282, 1993.
- Lee, T.S. and Lin, Y.J., “Shear Deformation Effect in Design Considerations of Flexible Manipulators”, Robotica, 11, 83-92, 1993.
- Lin, Y.J. and Mandalinich, M., “An Implementation of Drive Key Cellular Manufacturing”, I. Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 34 (1), 43-54, 1994.
- Lin, Y.J. and Lu, Y., “Passivity Driven Fuzzy Logic Control of a Multi-Degree-of-Freedom Reaction Compensating System”, I. J. Systems Sci., 26 (10), 2005-2014, 1995.
- Lin, Y.J. and Gregg, E., “Correlation Between Die Opening Gauge and Die Swell for Steel-Rubber Composite Extrusion”, J. Polymer Eng. and Sci., 36 (23), 2881-2890, 1996.
- Lin, Y.J. and Yu, A., “Linear Robust Trajectory Control of Flexible Joint Manipulators”, Robotica, 14 (3), 375-380, 1996.
- Lin, Y.J. and Lee, G.H., “System Identification for State-Feedback Integral Observer Control of Polymer Plastic Extrusion”, J. Polymer Plastic Tech. & Engng., 36 (5), 749-775, 1997.
- Lee, T.S. and Lin,Y.J., “Nonlinear Dynamic Strain Analysis on Rotor Blade Structures with Embedded Piezoceramic Sensors for Active Vibration Control”, J. Mechatronics, 8, 805-820, 1998.
- Lin, Y.J. and Lee, T.S., “An Adaptive Tool Path Generation Algorithm for Precision Surface Machining”, Computer-Aided Design, 31, 237-247, 1999.
- Lee, T.S. and Lin, Y.J., “An Improved Sculptured Part Surface Design Method with Jerk Continuity Consideration for a Smooth Machining”, I. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 15, 640-648, 1999.
- Lin, Y.J. and Murugappan, P., “A New Algorithm for Determining a Collision-Free Path for a CMM Probe”, I. J. Machine Tools and Manufacture, 39 (9), 1397-1408, 1999.
- Lin, Y.J., Lee, T., Choi, B. and Saravanos, D., “An Application of Smart Structure Technology to Rotor Blade Tip Vibration Control”, J. Vibration and Control, 5, 639-658, 1999.
- Lee, T. and Lin, Y.J., "A 3-D Predictive Cutting Force Model for End Milling of Parts Having Sculptured Surfaces", I. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 16, 773-783, 2000.
- Zhou, L.R. and Lin, Y.J., “An Effective Global Gauge Detection in Toolpath Planning for Freeform Surface Machining”, I. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 18, 461-473, 2001.
- Lin, Y.J., Mahabalesh, R., and Massina, E., "CAD-Based CMM Dimensional Inspection Path Planning - A Generic Algorithm", Robotica, 19, 137-148, 2001.
- Lin, Y.J., Damodharan, R. and Shakarji, C., “Standardized Reference Data Sets Generation for CMM Software Assessment”, I. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 18, 819-830, 2001.
- Lin, Y.J. and Uhler, A., “Shortening the Design for Assembly Process Time for Torque Converter Development”, Assembly Automation Journal, 22 (3), 248-259, 2002.
- Lin, Y.J. and Farahati, R., “Optimum Assembly Design Utilizing a Behavioral Modeling Concept”, Assembly Automation Journal, 23, 2, 181-191, 2003.
- Banka, N. and Lin, Y.J., “Mechanical Design for Assembly of a 4-DOF Robotic Arm Utilizing Top-Down Concept”, Robotica, 21, 567-573, 2003.
- Lin, Y.J. and Farahati, R., “CAD-Based Virtual Assembly Prototyping – A Case Study”, I. J. Adv. Manufacturing Tech., 21, 4, 263-274, 2003.
- Xu, H., Lin, Y.J. and Chan, C.C., “A Web-Based Product Modeling Tool – A Preliminary Development”, I. J. Adv. Manufacturing Tech., 21, 669-677, 2003.
- Jaganathan, A. and Lin, Y.J., “Accurate Machining of Freeform Surfaces by Restraining Cutter Contouring Errors”, I. J. Adv. Manufacturing Tech., 21, 627-636, 2003.
- Huang, M.Y., Lin, Y.J. and Xu, H., “A Framework for Web-Based Product Database Management Using J2EE”, I. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 24 (12), 847-852, 2004.
- Lin, Y.J. and Colello, M., “Exploring the Transitional Impacts of 2-D to 3-D Design Environment for Torque Converters Development”, I. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 23 (6), 389-398, 2004.
- Venna, S. and Lin, Y.J., “Mechatronic Development of Self-Actuating In-Flight Deicing Structures”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 11 (5), pp. 585-592, 2006.
- Venna, S. and Lin, Y.J., “An Analytical Development of a Universal Displacement Measurement System for Ultra-Precision Metrology”, Cybernetics and Systems, 37 (8), pp. 879-899, 2006.
- Lee, T.S., Ting, T.O., Lin, Y.J. and Htay, T., “A Particle Swarm Approach for Grinding Process Optimization Analysis”, I. J. Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 33, pp. 1128-1135, 2007.
- Venna, S., Lin, Y.J. and Botura, G., “Piezoelectric Transducer Actuated Leading Edge De-icing with Simultaneous Shear and Impulse Forces”, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 44 (2), pp. 509-515, 2007.
- Clark, S. and Lin, Y.J., “CAD Tools Integration for Robot Kinematics Design Assurance with Case Studies on PUMA Robots”, Industrial Robot, 34 (3), pp. 240-248, 2007.
- Khrais, S. and Lin, Y.J., “Wear Mechanisms and Tool Performance of TiAlN PVD Coated Inserts During Machining of AISI 4140 Steel”, Wear, 262 (1-2), pp. 64-69, 2007.
- Lin, Y.J. and Song, S.M., “A comparative study of inverse dynamics of manipulators with closed-chain geometry”, online publication, Journal of Field Robotics, DOI: 10.1002/rob.4620070402, March 2007.
- Lin, Y.J., Agrawal, A. and Fang, Y., “Wear Progressions and Tool Life Enhancement with AlCrN Coated Inserts in High-Speed Dry and Wet Steel Lathing”, Wear, 264 (3-4), pp. 226-234, 2008.
- Fang, Y. and Lin, YJ, “Optimal Production Policy for a Multi-Stage Kanban Managed Flexible Production System”, ICIC Express Letters, International Journal of Research and Surveys, 4 (4), pp. 1337-1343, 2010.
- Lee, T.S., Rao, P.V., Lin, Y.J., Ting, T.O. and Venkatesh, V.C., “Evolutionary Algorithms on Diamond Grinding of SiC”, International Journal of Precision Technology, 2 (1), pp. 1-11, 2011.
- Gi, Y., Soong, C.-J. and Lin, Y.J., “An Investigation of Nanotube-Integrated Buckysheets' Properties with Molecular Dynamics Modeling and Analysis”, Journal of Eng. Inventions, 1(8), pp. 31-37, 2012.
- Venna, S. and Lin, Y.J., “An Effective Approach for Optimal PZT Vibration Absorber Placement on Composite Structures”, Int’l Journal of Modern Mechanical Engineering, 3, pp. 21-26, 2013.
- Soong, C.J. and Lin, Y.J., “Molecular Dynamics Study of Oral Medicine Delivery Rates Attributed by Two Drug Particles’ Shapes”, Int’l Journal of Bioscience, Biochemistry and Bioinformatics, 3 (3), pp. 279-283, 2013.
- Huang, T., He, Y., Nie, Y., Wang, Y., Lin, YJ, and Hao, J., “Shape Optimization for Weight Reduction of Polymer Extrusion Die”, Applied Mechanics and Materials, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.799-800.261, 799-800, pp. 261-265, 2015.
- Chen, C., Wang, Y., Ou, H. and Lin, Y.J., “Energy-based Approach to Thermal Fatigue Life of Tool Steels for Die Casting Dies”, I. Journal of Fatigue, 92 (1), pp. 166-178, 2016.
- Zhang, G. and Lin, Y.J., “A Nonlinear Flow-Induced Energy Harvester by Considering Effects of Fictitious Springs”, Materials Research Express, 5 (1), https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aaa30e, 2018.
- Chen, C., Lin, Y.J., Wang, Y., and Ou, H., “Study of heat source calibration and modelling for laser welding process”, submitted to I. Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, 2018.
- Zhang, G., Klumpner, C. and Lin, Y.J., “An Investigation on Cantilevered T-Shaped Energy Harvester Powered by Flow-Induced Torsional Vibration”, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, 28 (2), pp. 78-85, 2018.
- Northern Illinois University (2019 – present)
- Director and Professor, Mechatronics Engineering Program
- Valparaiso University (2018-2019)
- Director and Professor, Valpo-DJTU Engineering Dual Degree Program
- Dalian Jiao Tong University, engineering program in College of International Education
- University of Nottingham (2014-2018)
- Associate Provost (Ningbo, China) – Global Engagement (2016-2018)
- Dean, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Ningbo campus (2014-2016)
- Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Head, Mechatronics Engineering and Vehicle Application Research Group
- Director, Center for Sustainable Energy Technology
- Editorial Advisory Boards (2002-2008)
- Industrial robots, Assembly Automation, Sensors and Actuators
- University of Texas at Tyler (2008-2013)
- Professor and Chair, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- NASA Safety Center
- Director of Innovative Learning Research Division (2007-2008)
- University of Akron (1988-2008)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- University of Illinois at Chicago (1981-1988)
- Postdoctoral Research Asso. w/ Chicago VA Hospital, Supervisor Prof. Simon Song
- RA & TA – Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Sampo Corporation (1979 -1981)
- Design Engineer, for refrigerators, washers, dryers, R&D Division.
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL