Rao Kilaparti, Ph.D.
Interim Chair of Department of Engineering Technology
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, (1981)
- M.S. in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, (1970)
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Osmania University, (1967)
- Tribology of Magnetic Media/Head
- Ball Bearings Lubricants
- Friction and Wear
Diamond LikeCarbon Coating Applications
- Locomotive Wheel Rail Interaction
- Nano Technology Applications.
Professional Associations and Honors
- Member of ASME
- Golden Step Award (1989) Product Development at 3M Corp.
- Six Sigma Green Belt (2004)
- Fildes, J.M., Ph.D., Meyers, S.J., ITC, Kilaparti, R.,
Ph.D, Schlepp, E., Falex Corp., “Improved Ball Crater Micro-Abrasion Test Based on Three Disk Configuration,” Wear, Volumes 274-275, pp. 414-422, January 2012.
- Otieno, Andrew, Jez, George, Kilaparte, Rao, “Experimental Studies on the Finish Machining of Titanium 6Al-4V with Minimum Quantity of Lubrication using
Bio-degradableOil,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Volume 4, pp. 1-10, December 2011. Arendas, Andrew, Majumdar, Pradip, Kilaparti, S. Rao, and Schroeder, David, “Experimental Investigation of the Thermal Characteristics of Li-Ion Battery for Use in Hybrid Locomotives,” Presented at International Conference ofRailway Engineering (ICRE), Beijing, China, July 2012.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Technology, NIU (2006-present)
- Department Manager, Exabyte Corporation (1999-2004)
- Research Scientist, 3M/Imation (1987-1999)
- Senior Engineer, Iomega Corp. (1983-1987)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL