Kyu Taek Cho, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University (2010)
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University (2008)
- Electrochemical study to develop advanced batteries to solve the conventional issues such as high cost and safety
- Study of micro-fluid behavior in porous media to solve key issues of fuel cells for automotive, mobile, and stationary applications
- Development of nano-fluid to enhance heat transfer for thermal and electrical systems
- Microbial fuel cell to generate electrical energy from liquid waste (sewage)
- Electrolysis to produce renewable fuels (H2)
- Design of heat and mass transfer system
- Judge in Undergraduate Research and Artistry Day at NIU (2016 to present)
- Reviewer for Journal of Power Sources (2009 – present)
- Reviewer for International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2009 –present)
- Reviewer for Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy (2012 – present)
- Reviewer for Journal of The Electrochemical Society (2013 – present)
- Reviewer for Journal of Applied Electrochemistry (2013 – present)
- NSF Panelist: CBET Energy for sustainability batteries panel (April 2015 and March 2017)
- Adviser of ASHRAE student chapter at NIU (2016 to present)
- University Fellowship Committee at NIU (2016)
Selected Journal Publications
- K.T. Cho and A.Z. Weber, “Review of hydrogen-halogen flow cells,” Energy Technology 4 (2016) 655-678, selected as a cover article.
- Knudsen, P. Albertus, K.T. Cho, A.Z. Weber, A. Kokic, “Flow simulation and analysis of high-power flow batteries,” J. Power Sources 299 (2015) 617-628.
- C. Tucker, K. T. Cho, and A.Z. Weber, “Impact of Membrane Characteristics on the Performance and Cycling of the Br2-H2 Redox Flow Cell,” Journal of Power Sources 284 (2015) 212-221.
- K.T. Cho, M. Tucker M. Ding, Paul Ridgway, V. Battaglia, V. Srinivasan, and A.Z. Weber, “Cyclic performance of Hydrogen/Bromine Flow Batteries for Grid-Scale Energy Storage,” ChemPlusChem 80 (2015) 402-411
- C. Tucker, K. T. Cho, A. Z. Weber, G. Lin, and T.V. Nguyen, “Optimization of Electrode Characteristics for the Br2/H2 Redox Flow Cell,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry 45 (2015) 11-19.
- C. Tucker, K.T. Cho, and A. Z. Weber, “Optimization of the Iron-Ion/Hydrogen Redox Flow Cell with Iron Chloride Catholyte Salt,” J. Power Sources, 245 (2014) 691-697.
- Kusoglu, K.T.Cho, and A. Z. Weber, “Structural and Transport Properties of Nafion Membrane in Hydrogen- Bromide Solution,” Solid State Ionics 252 (2013) 68–74.
- K.T. Cho, P. Albertus, V. Battaglia, A. Kojic, V. Srinivasan, A.Z. Weber, “Optimization and Analysis of High-Power Hydrogen/Bromine-Flow Batteries for Grid-Scale Energy Storage,” Energy Technology, 1 (2013) 557-557, selected as a cover article.
- K.T. Cho, P. Ridgway, A. Z. Weber, V. Battaglia, and V. Srinivasan, “Electrochemical performance of hydrogen-bromine flow battery for grid-scale energy storage,” J. Electrochem Soc. 159 (11) A1806-A1815 (2012)
- K.T. Cho and M. M. Mench “Investigation of water distribution in the polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell by hydrogen deuterium contrast neutron radiography,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. Phys. 14 (2012) 4296-4302.
- K.T. Cho, invited talk at the Central Advanced Research & Engineering Institute of Hyundai Motor Company, S. Korea, June, 2016
- K.T. Cho, invited talk at the Korea Electronics Technology Institute, S. Korea, June, 2016.
- C. Tucker, K. T. Cho, V. Srinivasan, V. Battaglia, A. Z. Weber, G. Lin, P. Y. Chong, and T. V. Nguyen, “Performance and Durability of the Br2 – H2 Redox Flow Cell,” 225th Electochemical Society Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2014.
- C. Tucker, K. T. Cho, V. Srinivasan, V. Battaglia, A. Z. weber, G. Lin, P. Y. Chong, and T. V. Nguyen, “Performance and durability of the Br2-H2 redox flow cell,” International flow battery forum, Hamburg, Germany, July 2014.
- K.T. Cho, Markus S Ding, Adam Z. Weber, Vince Battaglia and Venkat Srinivasan, “Effect of Operating Condition On Cyclic Performance of a Hydrogen-Bromine Flow Battery,” 224th Electrochemical Society Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Oct 2013.
- K.T. Cho, Karen Sugano, Markus S Ding and Adam Z. Weber, “Impact of Electrolyte On Protonic Conductivity of Perfluorosulfonic-Acid Membranes,” 224th Electrochemical Society Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Oct 2013.
- K.T. Cho, Markus S. Ding, Vincent Battaglia, and Venkat Srinivasan, Adam Z. Weber, “Development of hydrogen-bromine redox flow battery for grid energy storage,” Renewable Energy Storage Symposium, Northeastern University, MA, August 13, 2013.
- K.T. Cho, Paul Albertus, Vincent Battaglia, Venkat Srinivasan, Adam Z. Weber, “Insights into Hydrogen/Bromine Flow Batteries,” The 4th International Flow Battery Forum, Dublin June 26, 2013.
- K.T. Cho, Adam Z. Weber, Q. He, P. Ridgway, V. Battaglia, and V. Srinivasan, “Performance improvement of a hydrogen-bromine flow battery” 222nd Electrochemical Society Meeting, Hawaii, Hl, Oct. 2012.
- K.T. Cho, S. Haussener, V. Battaglia, V. Srinivasan, Adam Z. Weber, “Hydrogen-Bromine Flow Battery for Grid-Scale Energy Storage,” International Flow Battery Forum 2012, Munich, Germany, June 2012.
Selected Patent Applications
- C. Tucker, K. T. Cho, A. Z. Weber, “Membranes for high efficiency operation of redox flow cells,” US 15/052640.
- Knudsen, P. Albertus, M. Tucker, K. T. Cho, and A. Weber, “System and methods of returning material from the Br2 side of an H2/Br2 flow battery back to the Br2 side of the system after crossover and systems therefor,” WO 2015/100216 A1.
- Albertus, E. Knudsen, M. Tucker, K. T. Cho, and A. Weber, “Hydrogen/bromine flow battery in which hydrogen is freely exchanged between two cell compartments,” WO2015/095555 A1
- K.T. Cho, J. Yoon, S.W. Kim, J. Lee, T. Lim, and M. M. Mench, “Pulse purge technique to remove residual water from fuel cell,” US 8685584B2.
- Kim, J. Yoon, K. T. Cho, J. Lee, B. Ahn, and M. M. Mench, “Use of gas phase or tailored material gap to reduce flooding in polymer electrolyte fuel cells,” US 8535843 B2.
- K.T. Cho, J. Yoon, J. Lee, M. M. Mench, and A. Turhan, “Purge technique to remove residual water selectively from fuel cell,” US 8685584B2.
- Yang, Y. Kim, S. Kim, M. Song, H. Shin, J. Lee, S. Chin, K. T. Cho, “Structure for improving laminating efficiency of metal-separator for fuel cell,” US Patent 7572540 B2.
- K.T. Cho, T. Lim, K. Lee, S. Kim, J. Lee, and S. Cho “Unit cell structure comprising composite gasket for fuel cell stack,” US Patent 7537855 B2.
- K.T. Cho, “Gasket structure for fuel cell and fabrication method of the same,” US Patent 7,121,558 B2.
- K.T. Cho, T. Lim, Y. Yang, and J. Lee, “New structure of fuel cell stack,” US Patent Application Number 11/636699.
- Assistant professor, Mechanical Engineering, Northern Illinois University (2014 to present)
- Principal Research Associate, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley (2010 to 2014)
- Research professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2010)
- Senior researcher, Hyundai Motor Company, Korea (2001 to 2009)
- Researcher, Kia Motor Company, Korea (1997 to 2001)
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
590 Garden Rd, DeKalb, IL