Braven at NIU
NIU's Career Services has an ongoing partnership with Braven, a non-profit organization that empowers college students with the skills, networks, experience and confidence to land a strong job or internship. Students who participate in the Braven program are outpacing their peers in attaining a strong job out of college.
Students can take UNIV 301: Braven Leadership and Career Accelerator,a three-credit elective course to help you jumpstart your career. The course is unique in that it is taught by Leadership Coaches who are currently working in a variety of industries. As mentors, they will provide you with valuable feedback and insights into how you can prepare for your future.
The people in my cohort are amazing and are always engaged during our Learning Labs. My Leadership Coach has helped provide feedback for my resume and has also stayed past class time to help me when I or anyone in my cohort is struggling.
Register for UNIV 301
Current students: if interested, be sure talk to your advisor and enroll via MyNIU.
New transfer students: be sure to add it to your class schedule when you attend Orientation.
Other Benefits of the Course Include
- New partnership.
- We understand the importance of mentoring and career preparation. We are one of only six schools in the nation to offer this Braven course and mentorship opportunity.
- Small class size.
- You'll be on a team with 5-8 other Huskies from a variety of majors. This allows you to connect with and form connections outside your academic area.
- Completely online and once-a-week.
- You'll meet with your mentor and teammates once a week online.
- Course credit at no additional cost.
- You'll earn three credit hours toward graduation.
- NIU caps per-semester charges at 12 credit hours so you can take more classes each term and graduate faster. Full-time students can take UNIV 301 at no additional cost.
- Mentorship and instruction from working professionals.
- UNIV 301 is taught by professionals from top companies in Chicagoland.
- Career exploration.
- If you know what you want to do you will discover how to get there.
- If you are uncertain you will be able to explore what's possible.
- Career preparation.
- You'll develop a portfolio, resume, LinkedIn profile and interview skills.
- After course completion, you can access job boards and employment postings with Braven partners.
- Hands-on learning with leading companies.
- You'll work with teammates creating solutions for real companies and clients.
- You can tap into a network of participating companies in Chicagoland and beyond.
- Long-lasting support.
- Once you complete UNIV 301, you are paired with a mentor to support you through your academic and professional career planning.
Coaches leading the current NIU cohorts include professionals from:
- CIBC Bank
- Heil Environmental
- H & R Block
- U.S. Air Force.
- Cambridge Computer
- Rockwell Automation
- TJX Companies
Braven is a non-profit organization that empowers first-generation college students, students from low-income backgrounds, and students of color with the skills, networks, experience, and confidence necessary to land a strong job or internship.