Can I invite an academic advisor or counselor into my course to observe a student's progress and performance?
Yes, this is possible. The Observer role in Blackboard allows academic counselors and student support staff to monitor the performance of students assigned to them. To request Observer access, contact the IT Sevice Desk at 815-753-8100 or ServiceDesk@niu.edu.
The Observer role in Blackboard allows academic counselors and student support staff to monitor the performance of students assigned to them. The Observer associations are visible in the User List so that you are aware of and can contact the Observer if you notice the student is struggling or disengaging.
By default, Observer access is disabled for your course. This means that the Observer cannot even see that the student is enrolled in your course and has no access to the course whatsoever.
If you enable Observer access, this allows the Observer to see that the student is enrolled in your course. After that, you can also permit the Observer to access individual content areas and tools on the course menu, such as Announcements, Content, Assessments, or My Grades. All of this is off by default, and in your control to enable.
Last Updated: 02/05/2015
- Tips for Starting the Semester with Blackboard
- Tips for Ending the Semester with Blackboard
- Timesaving Tips Using the Blackboard Grade Center
- Tips for Assessing Student Learning Using Blackboard
- Tips for Communicating Effectively Using Blackboard
- Tips for Preventing Online Cheating
- Copyright Basics for the Academic Classroom
- HTML Tags