All student names in Blackboard are synchronized to the official, legal name registered with the university through MyNIU. The student's name would have to be changed with the university before his/her name would be updated in Blackboard. Trans students may request a name change from the Service Desk, 815-753-8100 or ServiceDesk@niu.edu.
I tried finding a student in my course, but their name is now listed as "Not Available." What happened?
When students choose to enable FERPA protections, their names are omitted from public-facing systems such as the NIU directory. In Blackboard, there is an exception to allow courses to receive the student’s name from MyNIU, but this is only true if the student is currently enrolled. Once the student graduates or takes a semester off, their name will be set to "NOT AVAILABLE".
Last Updated: 09/19/2016
- Tips for Starting the Semester with Blackboard
- Tips for Ending the Semester with Blackboard
- Timesaving Tips Using the Blackboard Grade Center
- Tips for Assessing Student Learning Using Blackboard
- Tips for Communicating Effectively Using Blackboard
- Tips for Preventing Online Cheating
- Copyright Basics for the Academic Classroom
- HTML Tags