Blackboard FAQ: Students, Accommodating
I am planning on having my students take tests in my Blackboard course and one student has indicated he will need to be accommodated with extended test times. How do I extend the test timer for a single student?
It is simple to create an accommodation for one or more students who need to have an extended time limit for a test.
Original Course View
- Create the test questions
- Deploy the test to access the test options (or click the round drop down arrow and select Edit the Test Options if the test is already deployed)
- Under the Test Availability Exceptions heading, click the Add User or Group button
- Search for and select the student who needs an accommodation, then click the Submit button
- Under Timer, change the length of the timer or deselect it to turn it off entirely for that student. You can also de-select Auto Submit, if it was enabled for the test
- Click the Submit button to save the test options
The test exception must be set for each test individually. This can also be used to make the test available during a different window for a student taking the test early or late.
Ultra Course View
- In the Details & Actions area, under Roster, click the View everyone in your course link
- Scroll or search to find the student
- Click the ... menu to the right of the student and select Accommodations
- Select Time limit accommodation and specify whether the student should have 50% extra time (time and a half), 100% extra time (double the time limit), or unlimited time
- Click the Save button
The accommodation only needs to be set once and then will apply to all assessments in the course that have a time limit. You can also set a due date accommodation so that the student's work is never marked late. Any student with an accommodation is identified with a purple ribbon icon on the roster and in the gradebook, but this icon is only visible to someone with grading privileges (e.g., Instructor, Teaching Assistant, Facilitator, Grader).
Last Updated: 09/04/2019