I would like people to be able to see the main features of my course without actually enrolling. Can I do that?
Yes. Many faculty members want students to be able to enter their course and check out the syllabus and assignments before officially enrolling through Registration and Records. To enable Guest Access, click Customization in the Control Panel. Select Yes next to Allow Guests. View the Managing Users page for more information on guest users, or the FAQ on Add/Modify Users to learn how to add a user to a course.
I would like to provide a guest speaker who is not associated with NIU temporary access to my Blackboard course. What is the process for requesting such access?
To request Blackboard Guest Lecturer IDs for your non-NIU guests, please follow these steps:
- Click the Computing Access Resources (CAR) link on the ITS Forms page at http://itsforms.niu.edu/app/itsforms/
- From the Select Account Type for service requested dropdown menu, select Guest Lecturers
- Then select Account Management and click the Continue button
- On the following page, select Create Account and click the Continue button
On the next page, enter the guest user information for the guest. For Reason for Request, provide the specific reason it is needed. Note: The requestor ID must be that of someone currently employed at NIU (for example, a faculty member) and the authorizer ID should be that of the requestor's supervisor (for example, program director, department chair, dean, etc.). Fill in the other fields on the form and click the Next button. Review the details on the next page and click the Submit button to submit the request.
ITS will fullfill the request within one business day. After the ID has been issued, the course instructor can add the guest to a particular course. After the guest lecturer's role has been fulfilled in the course, the requestor can disable the guest lecturer's access by following steps 1-3 above but selecting Disable Account instead of Create Account in step 4.
Can I secure the parts of my course I do not want guests to view, like exams and copyrighted materials?
Yes, Guest access can be restricted to only certain course tools. In the Control Panel, click Customization and then click Tool Availability. Make sure that only the desired tools are selected in the Visible to Guests column, and then click the Submit button.
Last Updated: 04/27/2016
- Tips for Starting the Semester with Blackboard
- Tips for Ending the Semester with Blackboard
- Timesaving Tips Using the Blackboard Grade Center
- Tips for Assessing Student Learning Using Blackboard
- Tips for Communicating Effectively Using Blackboard
- Tips for Preventing Online Cheating
- Copyright Basics for the Academic Classroom
- HTML Tags