- Teaching with Blackboard
- Blackboard Frequently Asked Questions
- Blackboard, Hardware/Software Requirements
Blackboard Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Blackboard FAQ: Blackboard, Hardware/Software Requirements
What are the minimum hardware and software requirements for my computer in order to access Blackboard?
To ensure access to all class files, we recommend a computer that can adequately run the following software:
Recommended Software Requirements
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows 7, 8, 10
- Macintosh OS 10.8-10.13
- Windows: Chrome, Firefox
- Macintosh: Firefox (OS 10.8-10.11), Safari (OS 10.10-10.13), Chrome
For more information on device and browser compatibility, review Browser Support.
- Broadband Internet access. If web conferencing or online exams will be used, a hard-wired ethernet connection is preferred over WiFi for the best experience.
- Sound card with microphone and headphones (a headset with microphone/headphones is highly recommended) if web conferencing will be used.
- Webcam, if web conferencing will be used.
Additionally, we recommend having the following software or free downloads for adequate display of instructional materials:
- Microsoft Office 2016 or newer (students can download the latest version for free as part of O365)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files
- Java version 7 or 8 (required for some external tools)
Last Updated: 04/14/2020