What is the Guaranteed Admission Program?
The goal of the Guaranteed Admission Program (GAP) is to create a seamless and transparent admission process for transfer students intending to complete your baccalaureate degree at Northern Illinois University. The Guaranteed Admission Program allows you the opportunity to be simultaneously admitted to both Northern Illinois University and your participating community College.
You will work with NIU advisors to help navigate the transfer process. We recommend that you track your degree progress by working with the transfer advisors at your community college and Northern Illinois University.
As part of the Guaranteed Admission Program you're eligible to transfer into more than sixty (60) undergraduate degree programs at Northern Illinois University. Admission to Northern Illinois University does not guarantee admission into “Limited Admission” programs. “Limited Admission” degree programs may have a higher GPA and/or other admission requirements to be considered. View the full list of “Limited Admission” programs. You may be classified as a "pre-major" until you have satisfied additional requirements, which may include specific coursework, minimum grade point average, supplementary documents and sophomore or junior standing.
As a participant in GAP, you may also qualify for Northern Illinois University scholarships.
How can I participate?
You'll indicate your intent to participate in the program by filling out the Guaranteed Admissions Program Participation Form at least one year in advance of your first semester at Northern Illinois University. By participating in the Guaranteed Admission Program, you are subject to the same admission requirements, degree requirements and academic policies governing all other Northern Illinois University students as well as the governing policies of our partnering community college(s).
Admission and Academic Requirements
- Complete the Guaranteed Admission Program Participation Form. This form will allow NIU and the partner community college to share information and to allow you to take advantage of the Guaranteed Admission Program and/or the reverse transfer process
- High school graduate
- Completed a minimum of twenty-four (24) transferable semester credit hours
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale on all transferable coursework taken at your partnering community college and all colleges/universities attended prior to admission to the program
- Complete general education and coursework required for admission into Northern Illinois University’s degree program
- Courses numbered lower than 100-level and courses not deemed transferable are not included in this agreement
- You're eligible to participate in reverse transfer
- If you are in the United States on a non-immigrant visa, you must have completed both ENG 121 and either ENG 122 or ENG 126 with grades of C or higher to meet the English proficiency requirements of Northern Illinois University. If you have completed these requirements, you will not need to submit separate proof of English proficiency at the time of application
- You must be in good standing at your community college
- If you achieve a transferable GPA of 3.20 on a 4.0 scale, you are eligible for admission to the University Honors Program at Northern Illinois University. Additional application materials are required to be admitted to the University Honors Program
Participating Community Colleges
- Carl Sandburg College
- City Colleges of Chicago
- College of DuPage
- College of Lake County
- Elgin Community College
- Illinois Central College
- Illinois Valley Community College
- Joliet Junior College
- Kankakee Community College
- Kishwaukee College
- McHenry County College
- Moraine Valley Community College
- Morton College
- Rend Lake College
- Rock Valley College
- Sauk Valley Community College
- Southeastern Illinois College
- Waubonsee Community College
For questions about participation in the Guaranteed Admissions Program, contact Katy Saalfeld, Acting Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-753-8305.
Contact UsOffice of Admissions
DeKalb, IL 60115