Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer Students


What are NIU’s admission requirements? Do I have to earn an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.)?

Transfer students must have a minimum of 24 transferable semester hours (36 quarter hours) of credit, be in good academic standing from the last college or university attended and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale from all colleges attended. An A.A. or A.S. degree isn't required but does provide important benefits to most transfer students (if from an Illinois public community college).

When should I apply for admission?

Early application is encouraged since you'll be assigned orientation, academic advising and registration based on the date you're admitted. Depending on which semester you're applying for admission, there are different deadlines. The online application is the preferred method to apply for admission.

When can I visit the campus?

Join any of our special events through the year including Open Houses, Transfers Get Information Fridays (TGIF) and Admitted Student Days.

Campus walking tours are Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. (excluding holidays, closure days and Open House dates).

Tours are available on Saturdays (September through May, excluding holidays and closure days) at 11:30 a.m. However, the Office of Admissions is the only office that is open on Saturdays. For more information, directions, dates and times see our visit campus page.

Transferring Credits

How will I know how my courses transfer to NIU?

An evaluation of your transfer credits will be available 1-2 weeks after you have been admitted. You may view the transfer credit report in MyNIU by going to your Student Center. Please contact the Office of Admissions if you have questions regarding your transfer evaluation.

How will my courses transfer to NIU?

NIU will accept credit in transfer from any regionally-accredited college or university if the courses to be transferred are part of a baccalaureate program. The Articulation Tables list course equivalencies from most Illinois public community colleges.

What is the maximum number of hours that can be transferred?

You may transfer up to 66 academic semester hours plus four semester hours of physical education activity courses. Credit hours in excess of 66 will be displayed on your transcript.

In all cases, you'll be required to complete at least 54 semester hours from the following sources: NIU credit, credit from other four-year schools, proficiency credit and up to eight semester hours of physical education activity credit, of which up to four physical education activity credit hours may be earned at community colleges.

Tuition and Aid

How much is tuition?

NIU’s graduated tuition plan reduces the cost per credit hour as you add classes, letting you take more classes for less money. Our “Truth-in-tuition” plan provides students with a fixed tuition rate for a time period of four continuous years beginning with your initial enrollment. Our tuition estimator will help you put together an estimated "typical annual budget."

How do I apply for financial aid or a scholarship?

89 percent of undergraduates received financial aid of some sort in 2014. We suggest all students submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). NIU’s priority filing date is March 1 and our school code is 001737.

Information and applications for financial assistance are available from the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. That office also maintains information on Veteran's Assistance.

NIU offers hundreds of scholarships. Scholarship information is available on the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office site.

Attending NIU

How do I apply for housing? Do I have to live in an NIU residence hall?

A housing application will automatically be sent to you following notification of admission to NIU. Our Off-Campus Housing Office provides listings of housing available in DeKalb (phone: 815-753-5105).

Students meeting the following criteria must live in university residence halls as long as space is available:

  • Single students classified as freshman (under 24 transferable semester hours of credit or 45 quarter hours).
  • Not yet 21 years of age by September 1 for fall (February 1 for spring).
  • Not residing with their parents or legal guardian.
Can I bring a car to campus?

Yes, you may bring a car to campus. You'll need one of five different parking permits for your car, which you can purchase online. All parking facilities are limited, controlled and color-coded, and all vehicles, including motorcycles and mopeds, must display an appropriate permit. Special Parking privileges are extended to handicapped persons and to individuals who are temporarily disabled.

You don’t need a car though, to get around campus. With the Huskie Bus Line, Huskie Safe Line, Zipcar and the Freedom Mobile for students with disabilities, there are a number of options for transportation.

Contact Us

Office of Admissions
Williston Hall
DeKalb, IL 60115
Back to top