Apply to NIU as a returning, guest or post-baccalaureate student
How to Apply
We invite you to apply to NIU! Follow these steps to apply.
1. Know when to apply.
The application deadline for fall 2019 is August 1, 2019.
You'll need to apply earlier if you're:
- A former NIU student applying for reinstatement
- A visiting student changing to degree status
2. Review requirements and materials.
Your admission requirements and supporting documents depend on what type of student you are:
- Former NIU students have varying requirements and materials.
- Visiting students are not required to submit transcripts.
- Post-baccalaureate students must submit transcripts from all colleges attended.
- Undocumented students (PDF) must provide additional materials.
3. Explore our majors.
If you'll be pursuing a degree at NIU, take some time to explore our undergraduate degree programs. You'll be sure to find the perfect fit for you.
4. Complete your application.
You’ll begin by creating an account in our system. You will then:
- Provide information (date of birth, address, etc.)
- Submit any required supporting documents
- Pay a nonrefundable $40 application fee
5. Check your status.
Once we receive your application and any required documents, it usually takes us about two weeks to make an admission decision. Be sure to check the status of your application to see if anything is missing. Submit any missing items as soon as possible.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
|Spring 2019||December 1|
Other Important Info
- More deadline information
- First-year and Transfer requirements
- Application next steps
- Financial aid and scholarships
- Come for a visit
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.