- About the program
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Course Information
- Engaged Learning
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- News & Events
- Women's Studies Library
- Women's History Month
- WOMS A to Z
- Helpful Links
- Contact Us
- Women's Studies Home
NIU Women's Studies Mosaic Mural Project: Fertile Ground
In May 2013, Danielle Dobies, a MFA student at NIU, proposed a collaborative public art project that she would lead for the Women’s Studies Program during the summer school session. Dobies led workshops twice a week from May-August 2013, during which she instructed volunteers on the art of mosaics and directed the creation of the Fertile Ground mosaic project. Thirty-nine volunteers participated in the workshops, contributing over 450 hours of labor in the creation of the mosaic. Volunteers ranged from 6-60+ years old and included: 16 NIU students; 2 NIU alums; 9 NIU faculty/staff; and 12 community members.
You are cordially invited to attend
the opening reception for
Join us to celebrate the completion
of the Women’s Studies Mosaic Project!
Mosaic project leader Danielle Dobies
will be on-hand to answer questions,
and hors d’oeuvres will be served.
Everyone is welcome!
Thursday, February 27, 2014
4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
Reavis Hall, Room 103For information:
call (815) 753-1038 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor: Women’s Studies Program
- Join the WOMS Mosaic Project Workshop group on Facebook to stay informed about the project!
- View/print an image of the Invitation to the "Fertile Ground" Mosaic Opening Reception!
- Check out images of progress on the mosaic project!
- Learn more about Danielle Dobies, NIU student and director of the WOMS Mosaic Project!