Video Conferencing at NIU
The next generation of video conferencing has arrived at NIU. Two new options now provide fast and reliable tools for meeting, sharing and collaborating online.
- Brings together large groups such as classes that can see and hear each other from multiple sites
- Can be used between NIU and the regional centers or any linkable site in the U.S.
- Results in high speed connectivity with great clarity when transmitted over Internet 2 from NIU sites
- Available in DeKalb at Gabel Hall, the Family Health, Wellness & Literacy Center (FHWLC), the Music Building and the NIU Outreach Centers in Hoffman Estates, Naperville and Rockford
Adobe Connect & Wimba
Both of these products for desktop video conferencing are useful for blended-learning classes, conferring with students and small meetings. In addition, both products can be accessed from Blackboard.
- Adobe Connect (one-on-one and small-group video conferencing in Blackboard or directly from the Web)
- Wimba (one-on-one video conferencing within a Blackboard course)
Uses of Video Conferencing
- Course delivery
- Face-to-face meetings for online courses
- Guest lectures
- Concerts and master classes
- Oral exams
- Collaboration on projects
- Modeling effective uses of technology in teaching & learning
- Teaching demonstrations for class critiques
- Face-to-face interviews for research
- Faculty training sessions
- Dissertation defenses
- Moot Court hearings
- Consultation with remote experts