Presented 6 18 03
          Approved 6 18 03
Athletic Board
Wednesday, May 7, 2003
Holmes Student Center Room #406, 1:00 p.m.

Present:  Gip Seaver (chair), Nestor Osorio, Paul Bauer, Harry Wright, Cary Groth, Nancy Nuzzo, Robert Wheeler, Brian Scholle, Marcia Dick, Ray Tourville, Nolan Davis, Joe True.

Guest:  Sheila Berg, Athletics Business Manager

I.      Call to Order – Gip Seaver

II.     Approval of April 16, 2003 Meeting Minutes

        Harry Wright made a motion to approve the April 16, 2003, meeting minutes. Paul Bauer seconded the motion.

        Gip pointed out that the minutes are unedited.  However, there were no additions or corrections to the minutes.  Motion carried unanimously.

III.     Committee Reports

        A.     Budget

                Will be addressed under New Business.

        B.     Student Welfare

                Will be addressed under New Business.

        C.     Gender Equity

                Paul Bauer said he and Dee Abrahamson, associate athletics director, have communicated and she has asked if the committee has submitted a formal
                report to the Board.  Paul is unsure of what the next step should be.  Cary Groth stated that she feels the requirement was to do the survey and have it
                analyzed.  The next step is up to the Office for Civil Rights (OCR).  If they request to see the survey, we will forward it to them.  Paul said Dee has
                reviewed the information for glaring issues but she reported none.   Gip Seaver pointed out that the Board has not seen the survey.  Paul said it is done
                to measure issues of gender equity.  Cary clarified that it is done to measure interest in current sport offerings and others that we do not offer.  It is
                really done to seek gender interest.  Paul said he can easily provide a blank copy of the survey and the report which was generated.  The data
                gathered can be sorted any number of ways but he does have the report with results by gender.  Janaan Mickey will get a copy of the report from
                Dee, copy it and provide it and the blank survey form to the Board members.

        D.     Huskie Club

                Cary Groth began by reporting that Huskie Club membership is up 200 from last year.   She also reported that the Huskie Club picked up the
                majority of the expense incurred from moving from the Field House to the Convocation Center. The cost for the photos Streng Design picked out to
                use in the office suites was approximately $140,000.  All in all, things are going well.   Winning helps as evidenced by the increase in donations.

                Brian Scholle added that he had talked with Tim Stedman, major gifts officer, about the event in the Skybox on April 17 and the development staff felt
                it went very well.

        E.     Faculty Athletics Representative

                No report.

IV.     New Business

        A.     Third Quarterly Report

                Sheila Berg, athletics business manager, began discussion by saying that this information is being presented as an informational item today.

                Sheila reviewed the memo highlighting major points in the report and then opened the floor to questions.  Gip asked Ray Tourville to discuss the
                subject of budget monitoring.

                Ray said it was discussed in executive committee as to whether or not to bring the entire quarterly report or budget to the Board.  He feels it would be
                better to bring forward a much-shortened version of the budget or quarterly report.  It would most likely be just the first four pages of the reports as
                the Board receives them now.  Discussion was also held regarding whether it is necessary to bring all four quarterly reports since the third and fourth
                quarter reports really show the picture.  The second quarter does show the football figures, however.

                Sheila said the suggestion was made to show the grants-in-aid total as one item and move all sports into one total.  The fourth quarter report would
                show the initial allocations and the finals.  Ray Tourville said the budget subcommittee is very pleased with the work done on getting the budget under
                control.

                Gip reminded the Board that this information will be acted on at the June Board meeting.

        B.     FY04 Budget

                Sheila pointed out that again, this report is informational today.  Nolan Davis asked if any plan has been made for the technology surcharge.  Cary said
                discussion has been had but no plans have been developed.

                Cary pointed out that the concessions agreement changed this year.  We have an agreement for football separately from the other sports and
                basketball in the convocation center.  Though the revenues were up, the revenue income from the convocation center was much less so that will be a
                wash.  Looking at the numbers in football, it is far greater overall.  The concessions figures will be shown in the fourth quarter report.

                Paul Bauer explained that as for the out-of-state tuition, Governor Blagojevich would like to raise it a great deal.  It would affect all programs at NIU,
                not just Athletics.

                Having no further discussion, Gip pointed out that this report will be acted on at the June meeting.

        C.     Student-Athlete Development Center

                 Cary began her presentation by reporting that major prospects for the endzone project were invited to attend the spring game on April 17.  This
                facility will be built using only external funding.  Several alumni have been identified for their ability to help with the facility and others are still in the
                process of being identified.

                The university received an initial gift from an alum in the amount of $50,000 to hire an architect to do some preliminary renderings.  Athletics hopes to
                have $1 million committed to the project by the end of the month.  The top five donors have committed to the project but Athletics is unsure as to
                what level.

                Cary showed the rendering of the building and went on to say the present coaches’ offices at Huskie Stadium are in very bad condition and there are
                only three meeting rooms.  The current athletic training facilities require athletes to be taped in the hallway on game days.  The Stadium was built in the
                ‘60s and was only for men’s sports.  Now there are both men and women utilizing that space, the coaching staffs have increased in number and
                Athletics has grown out of the Stadium.

                In the new building, strength and conditioning space will increase from its current 5,000 square feet to 9,000 square feet.  By doing its own laundry in
                the Stadium equipment room, Athletics annually saves approximately $30,000.  The current athletic training facilities are in a space less than 1,000
                square feet and in the new building will be housed in 2,300 square feet which is more comparable with the space they use at the convocation center.

                The academic area will double the space currently used in the convocation center.  The academic area at the convocation center, the Lynne
                Waldeland  Room, will be retained when the new facility opens.

                The support staff will utilize the lower level.  There is 30,000 square feet of usable space plus an additional 10,000 square feet necessary for janitorial,
                elevators, etc.  The football players will exit the lockerroom into a tunnel leading directly on to the playing field.

                The upper level contains the head coach’s office and the two coordinators’ offices which look out onto the football field.  The center of the building is
                a lobby space of approximately 1,500 square feet.  It connects with four meeting rooms which can be used for entertaining at football games.  Central
                development, the Huskie Club, and the President’s office can use that space for hospitality.

                Behind an internal walkway are seven additional meeting rooms, seven additional coaches’ offices, and a tiered classroom with partitions to split it into
                two separate rooms.  The classroom can seat 148 people and can be used for Athletics’ all-staff meetings.

                75% of the cost of the facility must be in hand before Athletics can begin digging the foundation and the lead donor’s commitment must be in writing
                before moving forward.

                Brian Scholle asked about putting pressbox facilities on the new building.  Cary said that is cost-prohibitive but the next step would be to renovate the
                west side.  The new building is a great concept and has surpassed Athletics’ initial vision.  There will be a berm on the south side of the facility which
                matches the berm at the south end of the field.

                Only locker rooms for the home team will be in the new facility.   Visiting teams will be utilizing the locker rooms in the west stadium.  Currently
                wrestling and gymnastics share space in the west stadium.  Moving into the new facility will open up space in the current strength and conditioning area
                which wrestling will then move into.  There will be an indoor golf practice area by removing a wall in one of the racquetball courts.  Batting cages can
                be hung in the other racquetball court.  If momentum is good, Athletics will move forward to build an indoor practice facility.

                Cary went on to say that people who come to NIU football games are so lucky that parking is close by.  As facilities get built, Athletics will get away
                from having people park in the green space.  Parking will be located on the perimeter of athletics facilities and there will be walkways built for access.

                Paul Bauer asked when the building process might start.  Cary said Athletics hopes to break ground next spring.  Harry Wright asked about the
                seating requirements for Division I and if this would impact them.  Cary said that requirement is eliminated after next year.  The square footage in the
                berm is still the same seating capacity.  Athletics doesn’t want to use the berm for seating but it could be used for that purpose.

                Brian Scholle then asked where the indoor practice facility will be located.  Cary said the location has not yet been determined.  Dr. Williams has
                incorporated such a facility into the west campus master plan.  Cary then pointed out that the glass on the south face of the Student-Athlete
                Development Center is tilted so there would be no glare, which would interfere with play.

                Marcia Dick asked where the cheerleaders dress currently.  Cary said they do not have a specific locker room for dressing but they do practice in the
                gymnastics gym at the stadium.  As this whole project moves along, Cary will keep the Board updated.

        D.     Student Representation and Bylaws

                Gip reported that another item that came up for discussion at executive committee was the form, function, and lack of representation by students on
                the Athletic Board.  The feeling is that there were two items of concern relative to student representation:  1) the lack of representation by the Student
                Association and 2) the process for getting student-athlete representatives named to the Board.

                The Student Association has the opportunity to select its two representatives and information has come from the Student Association that PAWS must
                nominate the two student-athlete representatives and the names forwarded to the Student Association for election in the general student election.
                Essentially, they would be viewed as other candidates running for election in the spring.

                Paul Bauer asked if other students are nominated by their peers to committees.  Robert Wheeler said students on the honors committee are elected by
                their peers.  Paul went on to say that he is unaware of other university committees to which you must be elected.  Harry Wright asked how this could
                be changed.  Gip said in the fall, this change would be submitted as a change to the bylaws.  It has been a situation where the Student Association
                could hold the election.  PAWS would have the opportunity to elect the male and female student-athletes.  Cary said she has met with the Student
                Association president before to talk about student representation.

                Gip went on to say that the feeling was in talking about this, it seemed to be a policy to get students elected.  Nolan Davis asked about having PAWS
                run an election and Cary indicated she would prefer not having them get into that situation.  It might end in not having the best candidate on the Board.
                Joe True said in the student-athletes’ case, it is really based on availability.  Nolan went on to say that the president of PAWS could appoint two
                representatives with the approval of the PAWS membership.  He suggested that the Student Association’s director of athletics and recreation and the
                director of student life be the appointees to the Board.  Gip said executive committee would work with Athletics to bring a policy forward to then go
                to University Council.  It is also important to get a meeting with the Student Association president to discuss this issue.

V.     Old Business

        A.     Athletic Board Structure and Function

                Gip said this will be discussed at the June meeting.

        B.     Schedules

                The Board talked about and took action on a huge packet of sport team schedules at last month’s meeting.  The Board sent the topic of sports
                schedules back to the executive committee to discuss how to deal with schedules.  After some discussion, the executive committee has suggested that
                routine schedules, except for football and men’s and women’s basketball, would be approved on a regular and continuing basis by the executive
                committee with input from athletics administration.  At the end of the year, there would be an “audit” of the completed schedules and the Board could
                see the schedules and monitor days of classes missed, days away from campus, etc.  This, then, became the recommendation from the executive
                committee.  The difficulty was with late scheduling and having schedule changes submitted at every meeting of the Board.

                Paul Bauer explained that with a year-end audit, the Board members can submit their concerns, if any, and make suggestions for changes in policy
                regarding schedules.  The opportunity is there for oversight.   Gip added that the executive committee is more easily convened.  The NCAA requires
                that the Athletic Board have oversight of  schedules.  Gip went on to say that the executive committee felt it important to bring this to the Board to see
                if it supports this recommendation and whether it is reasonable to pursue at the first meeting in the fall.   The Board’s Policies and Procedures manual
                can be changed but changes to bylaws must go back to the University Council for approval.  As it relates to this scheduling recommendation, it is an
                internal process to approve.

                Harry Wright asked if there are guidelines for schedule oversight.  Gip answered that there are.

                Having no further discussion on the issue, Gip reiterated that football and men’s and women’s basketball schedules will still come to the Board.  Harry
                asked the reason and Gip stated that they are high-visibility sports.  If someone asked about a schedule, the Board would not see the schedules until
                the end of the school year.

                Nolan Davis indicated his agreement with Harry and urged the Board to move forward relative to letting the executive committee have responsibility
                for review of sport schedules.  He also stated that the Board should establish an appropriate policy for the number of class days missed and days
                away from campus.  If the sports are within that policy, Cary Groth could approve the schedules.  Anything outside that policy should come to the
                Board for review.

                Gip said NIU’s Constitution and Bylaws say the Athletic Board approves all intercollegiate athletics schedules.  The Board would need to develop
                new language to make this change.  Harry then asked if there is a policy regarding competition during finals, how was it that he attended a baseball
                game on Friday, May 2 (Reading Day) and a doubleheader on Saturday, May 3?  Cary said the policy applies only to conference play.  She added
                that the policy needs to be worked on to make it more efficient.  If a special exception is being asked for, it must come back to the Board.

                Robert Wheeler then noted that TV appearances tend to change game times or dates of games.  He asked if it is reasonable to ask the athletics
                director to negotiate such things.  Cary said that playing football games is during the week is an issue but she might bring that forward to the Board.
                Dr. Wheeler also said NIU is considering moving a game to mid-week this fall and it might be an issue.  Cary said before a game would be finalized,
                Athletics would meet with the IHSA to notify them and DeKalb High School has already been alerted to the possibility.  Athletics would need to do
                some public relations work on this.  Gip said the current policy does not require the Board to approve time changes, only date changes.

                Harry Wright observed that reaction time on the Board is an issue.  It might be that the Board can forward policies to Cary and ask her to get them
                implemented.

        C.     Committee Structure

                Gip began discussion by saying the Board doesn’t utilize its structure as shown in the Committees of the University book.  The only committees really
                used are the budget and gender equity subcommittees.  Particularly for next year, the Board needs to look at what it might work on.  Discussion at the
                executive committee centered on reducing the size of the subcommittees.  With schedules becoming an item for the executive committee, the Board
                might be better served by going to a “task force” structure.  A task force would be established, it could work on items and then move on.

                Gip then asked for topics for the 2003-04 academic year which would be at the front.  As a new chair comes in in the fall and also in getting ready for
                September, the Board could identify some things to work on and move forward with. He noted two items the Board might want to get involved with.
                The first being a task related to facilities and a second that is somewhat tied in with marketing.   Gip asked if there is still interest in working with
                Athletics regarding marketing.   A third item that came up during the executive committee meeting was the need to review the Policies and Procedures
                manual.  It should be updated and changes could then be made to the bylaws.

                Gip then asked if any Board members had other suggestions for topics on which to focus.  Cary suggested that as Athletics representatives have been
                at various meetings on campus to discuss the upcoming 40/60/80% rule, perhaps there is an institutional control or faculty athletics representatives
                committee that works on academic issues coming from the NCAA which might challenge NIU academic rules which might put the student-athletes at
                a disadvantage.  It might be worth considering putting together a group to work with the faculty athletics representative to address academic issues.  It
                seems that there is always talk about eligibility or rules.   One of the SASS (Student-Athlete Support Services) staff could serve on that committee.
                Cary would like faculty and staff on that committee.  She went on to say that it is important to know that some of the continuing eligibility rules at NIU
                came from this Board.  Paul Bauer feels there would be some very interested people on this Board from which a committee could be developed.
                Robert Wheeler asked if there would be an advantage in having a representative from the advising deans on the Athletic Board.  The advising deans
                know a great deal about these issues.  President Peters could be asked to appoint one of the advising deans which would help open up
                communication.  Gip asked if that is a topic the Board would like to suggest to the incoming chair for the Board’s involvement?  Having no further
                discussion, he asked if the topics of facilities, the Policies and Procedures manual, marketing, and academic issues would be enough for the Board to
                work on.

                Gip then asked if there were other issues to forward on to the new chair.  Harry Wright said he would not like to see the Board lose the student
                welfare subcommittee.  It might be something that could be folded into the academic committee which has just been mentioned.  He added that the
                review of the Policies and Procedures manual is important.  Gip also said the executive committee feels that the Board could meet on a quarterly
                basis.  The months in between the meetings could be used by committees as they work on the items from the task force.

                Paul Bauer asked when the Board will know who might be replacing the chair and the faculty athletics representative?  Cary said President Peters has
                asked her to collect names and resumes of interested people, forward the information to him and he will make the selections.

        D.     Athletics Strategic Plan

                Cary stated that the version being shared with the Board is 16 months old.  Most important in the plan are the five goals under which Athletics
                operates.  Part of the evaluation process of all employees in the department is a review of their performance related to those goals.

        E.     Miscellaneous

                Marcia Dick asked, relative to the publicity the basketball coach from Iowa State and the football coach from Alabama are receiving, whether our
                coaching staff have clauses in their contracts regarding personal conduct.  Cary said all athletics personnel contracts have those clauses.

VI.     Adjournment

          Paul Bauer made a motion to adjourn the meeting.  Ray Tourville seconded the Motion.  Carried unanimously.

The next meeting of the Athletic Board will be Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 1:00 pm in  Holmes Student Center room #406.  The executive committee will meet on Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 1:00 pm in the athletics administration conference room at the convocation center.