Green Office Initiative
Promoting Environmental Awareness and
Integrity in the Workplace
It is the duty and privilege of higher education institutions to take the initiative to promote sustainability in all facets of the university.
The Green Office Initiative sponsored by the NIU Student Association and the NIU Green Team in a collective effort to unite the administrative and academic offices across campus in a "green" atmosphere. This program challenges offices and departments to make small changes in their daily operations that will promote environmental awareness.
Green Office Steps
- Office or Department follows steps to self-evaluate for bronze, then silver levels. (Must follow the levels in order.)
- Offices or Departments that wish to reach the gold level must arrange a meeting with one of the Green Office Coordinators.
- Contact Jessica McKay about getting your office or department involved.
- At the meeting, the coordinator will go through the process to reach gold status.
- An office or department can stop at any point that they wish, but must start at the bronze level.
- Recycle bins for paper will be reasonably available by all copiers, printers, and desks.
- Additional recycling bins for plastic and glass will be made available in break rooms or common areas.
- The Department or Office will always recycle batteries and print cartridges.
- Office strives to eliminate the need for disposable utensils in the workplace (cups, mugs, plates, water bottles, etc.)
- Reminders are to be placed throughout the office to keep the green initiatives in mind and promote environmental consciousness.
- Offices should switch to a direct deposit in an effort to reduce waste by removing the physical pay stub. (Part 1 & Part 2).
- Hand dryers are used rather than paper towels.
- Computers are always turned off overnight.
- Recyling toner, pens, and batteries.
- Composting is considered as a method to reduce office waste.
Many offices throughout campus already participate in these activities casually. Our hope is that the acceptance of this program will cause office members to be more diligent and consistent with their environmental efforts, and ultimately encourage others to do the same.