Enhancing Success : Suggested Paragraph in Course Syllabi regarding Accommodations
In order to develop a composite paragraph for inclusion in syllabi that would create a more welcoming campus environment for students with disabilities, we drew a random stratified sample of 304 on-campus course syllabi. Forty-seven paragraphs were identified and analyzed. The following five themes were identified:
- NIU abides by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Student success is of importance to the instructor.
- If students think that their disability might have a negative impact on their performance in this course...
- ...they should contact the instructor early in the semester.
- Students are referred to the CAAR Office if they need services and/or accommodations and have not yet registered with that office.
The paragraph below incorporates these five themes and is suggested for inclusion in all syllabi.
Suggested Paragraph for Inclusion in Syllabi
NIU abides by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which mandates reasonable accommodations be provided for qualified students with disabilities. If you have a disability and may require some type of instructional and/or examination accommodation, please contact me early in the semester so that I can provide or facilitate in providing accommodations you may need. If you have not already done so, you will need to register with the Center for Access-Ability Resources (CAAR), the designated office on campus to provide services and administer exams with accommodations for students with disabilities. The CAAR office is located on the 4th floor of the University Health Services (815-753-1303). I look forward to talking with you soon to learn how I may be helpful in enhancing your academic success in this course.
Last revised 11/10/2004
Top of Page(ALT+E)