- About Us
- Campus Activities Board
- Community Service
- Event Production Services
- Forms & Policies
- Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Huskie Family Connections
- Huskie Link
- Student Government
- Student Organizations at NIU
- Welcome Days
- Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management
- Student Involvement & Leadership Development
- Contact Us
Creating Your Own Student Organization
If you are unable to find a student organization that fits your particular interests, or you have a great idea for a new and unique organization, then you have the option to start your own organization. There are specific guidelines to be followed in order for your new organization to become official.
Steps To Becoming a Student Organization
Tip: Before you begin, ask yourself, “How does my proposed student organization differ from what is already offered on the NIU campus?” The NIU Student Association does not recognize or support student organizations that double or duplicate the efforts of currently existing organizations.
1. Before an organization can be created, you must have a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Advisor (the Student Association requires that, at minimum, organizations have a President, Treasurer, and Advisor). You must also have a constitution and bylaws for your organization. You can find a sample constitution on the Student Association website.
2. Register your organization through Huskie Link, our student organization database. Visit huskielink.niu.edu, log in with your Z-ID and password, click the "Organizations" tab, and click the "Register" button under "Register a New Organization." Please be aware that you must have your constitution and bylaws ready to upload when you register your organization.
3. Upon your submission of your Huskie Link registration, the President and/or Vice-President of your new student organization must schedule a meeting with the Vice President of the Student Association. You can contact the Student Association office at 815-753-0486 in order to schedule an appointment.
Requesting Full Recognition from the Senate
After receiving temporary recognition from the Vice President of the Student Association, the organization must come before the Northern Illinois University Senate at a scheduled appointment made with the Speaker of the Senate. You can reach the Speaker of the Senate by calling 815-753-0486. The purpose of this meeting is to inform the 40-member Senate about the purpose of your organization and its future goals. At this time, Senators will have the opportunity to ask questions about your organization regarding funding, membership, objectives, etc, and make suggestions for your organization’s constitution. After a brief period of questioning, the Senate will vote on whether or not to officially grant your organization’s request for recognition. You will be notified during the Senate meeting your organization presents at whether or not your organization has received official recognition. Be sure to be on time for your meeting and dress accordingly in formal business attire. The Senate always meets on Sundays at 6pm on the top floor of the HSC hotel tower.