Fraternity & Sorority Life
Welcome to Fraternity & Sorority Life at Northern Illinois University!
Mission: The mission of Fraternity & Sorority Life staff is to advocate for fraternities and sororities within the Northern Illinois University community, and promote an understanding of organization and individual member responsibilities in accordance with University rules and regulations. Fraternity & Sorority Life serves as a catalyst for encouraging fraternities and sororities to provide their members with experiences that lead to enhanced personal and professional growth, development and education.
NIU is home to 47 social fraternities and sororities, with more than 1,600 members in our Greek community.
Fraternities and sororities are often referred to as "Greek Life" on college campuses.
- Organizations using Greek letters date back to the founding of the first fraternities in the 1700s
- Each letter stands for a part of an organization's motto
- Meanings of the mottos are revealed when you join an organization
All Greek-letter organizations are founded upon three main principles to help students as they navigate through life at college:
- Academic achievement/scholastic excellence
- Service to the greater community
- Bonding through brotherhood or sisterhood
- Home to 14 men's fraternities
- Organizations range in size from 15 - 110 members
- Known as the Divine Nine
- Home to 4 women's sororities and 4 men's fraternities
- Groups range in size from 3 - 25 members
- Home to 9 women's sororities
- 7 national Panhellenic sororities
- 1 local sorority
- 1 national Latina sorority
- Groups range in size from 15 - 95 members
- Home to 14 organizations, including:
- men's fraternities
- women's sororities
- co-ed fraternities
- Groups range in size from 3 - 40 members
- All UGC chapters hold multiculturalism as an important organizational value
Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment is September 9-11, 2016!
NPHC "Divine Nine" recruitment varies by organization - contact chapters for meeting dates.
United Greek Council recruitment varies by organization - contact chapters for meeting dates.
Organizations not recognized by NIU:
- Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity
Student Involvement & Leadership Development
Campus Life Building 150
DeKalb, IL 60115