Our 11th annual NIU Cares Day will take place on Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 9:00am – noon!
NIU Cares Day is a campus-wide day of community service. Volunteers comprised of NIU students, faculty, staff and alumni come together once a year to complete projects that benefit DeKalb County’s not-for-profit organizations and community agencies as a way of thanking the community for their support of the institution and its mission.
- All team leaders are required to attend orientation session in February
- Kickoff will be held in the Chick Evans Field House
- Due to lack of use and resources, we will not be able to provide students with transportation to their sites. We have found that most students prefer to drive themselves.
- All community sites will be required to attend an online orientation. Contact us if you are unable to attend.
NIU Cares Day volunteers spend the day planting, painting, cleaning, sorting, assisting with events and various other tasks around the county. Volunteer teams will be assigned to project sites according to the needs of the organizations and the experience level of the teams.
A Team Leader must be designated and is required to attend a mandatory orientation session during the month of February. Team Leaders will sign their teams up at this orientation.
If you are interested in participating in the event without a team, you are welcome to register as an individual when registration opens.
Project Site Leader
Are you an employee or alumni looking to work alongside students who are doing great things for the community? Consider volunteering for NIU Cares Day as a Project Site Leader!
Get more information about employees and alumni volunteer roles.
Last year’s event included over 80 project sites that received assistance from over 1,000 NIU volunteers! Organizations who have benefited from NIU Cares Day include:
- Family Service Agency
- Salvation Army
- Kishwaukee Family YMCA
- DeKalb & Sycamore Public Libraries
- Opportunity House
- TAILS Humane Society
- St. Jude's Research Hospital
Student Involvement & Leadership Development
Campus Life Building 150
DeKalb, IL 60115